Electrical hum/buzz upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last couple of weeks I've noticed a high pitched buzz/hum, like the sound you get from electronics sometimes.

I've tried to work out what it could be from, and it's doing my head in!

So far, I've ruled out something plugged in sockets, smoke detectors, bathroom extractor fan/sensor, door bell transformer.

It sounds like it is coming from near the airing cupboard, almost in the walls or ceiling. Opened up the airing cupboard, didn't sound like it was coming from the boiler electricals.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
rip your walls down, smash the house apart until you find it.

Where in the walls, near your airing cupboard have you got electrical wiring?
Search there, ear against the wall, use a glass - if you hear lots of grunting then your on a dividing wall and the neighbours are at it :)

Dimmer switch? They can buzz. You could try eliminating various items by switching parts of the fuse box off.

Have you checked if the noise goes by switching everything off at your consumer unit - re-energise one circuit at a time, until the noise returns, that should provide some clues.

Says he who took two years to track down at intermittent noise, from a smoke sensor. It only gave a bleep every few minutes, if the weather was really cold. Smoke alarm was in my loft, with the loft hatch usually tight shut in winter when the noise occurred. To add to the confusion, I have lots of electronics around the place and a separate from the loft sensor, linked smoke alarm system.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No dimmer switches in house.

Electrical wiring by itself wouldn't make a noise? Thought maybe a transformer or switched mode job, though it is a high pitch noise not low 50hz hum.

Might nock everything off tomorrow when missus is out the house.

I do have 2 mains powered smoke detectors linked together. Might investigate that...

Basically, we cant help you find somethng in your house.
we are not there, we cannot see whats there- all we can do is say "look for something electrical"...
the rest is upto you

yes appreciate that, just thinking people may have also had a similar noise, and could suggests things I've not thought of yet

i might nock off all electrics today, at least then i can narrow down to whether electrical or plumbing.

Ok then, i might nock off all electrics today, at least then i can narrow down to whether electrical, plumbing or bees

Turn of all your circuits at the consumer unit, then energise them one at a time. Be systematic and wait a few minutes before going on the "search". You might also be able to use a microphone plugged into a phone with an app that visualises sound. Pick a quiet time of day, walk around with your visualised sound and see where the "amplitude" is strongest.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back