External EV Charge point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has just moved into a '60's house and is looking to get an EV car and wants the charge point on a post on his driveway instead of on his house so the charging cable isn't likely to trip people up. So presumably the post will be connected to the house via 6mm SWA underground and then through the wall to the CU.

He has just had a Isolator "switch" fitted below the CU which looks like it has a 100 Amp fuse in it as well as the 2 on/off switches according to the 100 Amp sticker or is that 100 Amp fuse in the old black box next to it.

The CU is a single RCD unit as you can see and has spare slots on the RCD and non RCD side. Is it a suitable CU to add an MCB to supply the charging cable, via the SWA, to the charging post on the driveway ? Or does it need a new CU ?

We're just trying to figure out what is required before getting quotes from installers then we have an idea
thanks

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-09-04 at 10.39.46_223a1377.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-09-04 at 10.39.46_223a1377.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
The exposed copper raises a concern about the meter installer's work. Might be the tail is not properly connected in the cutout ( main fuse )

1725452892346.png

The exposed copper raises a concern about the meter installer's work. Might be the tail is not properly connected in the cutout ( main fuse )

View attachment 354483
Good spot. Maybe the guy who just fitted the isolator relaced all the supply cables and did that. Report it as a H&S issue ? Thanks

He has just had a Isolator "switch" fitted below the CU which looks like it has a 100 Amp fuse in it
The 100amp isolator is just a simple switch. It is capable of handling a load of 100amp, but there is no fuse or any other device.
The 100amp is limited by the 100amp fuse in the incoming service head - what you refer to as the "black box".

Installation of an EV point has many wrinkles in it, starting at the supply (you need permission from the DNO to connect an EV charge point).
The CU is a single RCD unit as you can see and has spare slots on the RCD and non RCD side. Is it a suitable CU to add an MCB to supply the charging cable, via the SWA, to the charging post on the driveway ? Or does it need a new CU ?

The (RCD) safety devices that are in the consumer unit will probably not be of the correct type. It may be a simple RCD swop, or your CU may just not be suitable.

All of these things need careful consideration by your EV pod installer. They will know the EXACT requirements. We cannot even guess at how there apply to your installation, these over the Internet. Decide on your POD(s) of choice, and get some quotes.

Sponsored Links
Good spot. Maybe the guy who just fitted the isolator relaced all the supply cables and did that. Report it as a H&S issue ? Thanks
He just checked and it looks like the cable is fitted correctly and its just a score mark around it

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-09-04 at 14.01.59_75cc008a.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-09-04 at 14.01.59_75cc008a.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 29
The main problem with EV charging points is the earthing arrangement. I can see an earth wire on picture bottom of the DNO block, but not where it goes or where connected to if anywhere.

There is no real problem if not a TN-C-S supply, but it is and most are, then there are rules and recommendations as to how close it can be to other earthing systems, and can't work that out without being on site.

So no one on here can really answer the question.

Yes I've just noticed that earth bonding. It looks too thin to me, should it be 16mm to meet current regs assuming it goes from the conduit pipe into the CU at the back ?

. Is it a suitable CU to add an MCB to supply the charging cable
Not really - MCBs for that are not made any more, so it would be a used or other part from some dubious source, plus any EV charging supply will need RCD protection so you would still need another enclosure with an RCD in it.

More likely is a separate CU just for the EV charging, or replace the existing consumer unit with a new one.

The main problem with EV charging points is the earthing arrangement. I can see an earth wire on picture bottom of the DNO block, but not where it goes or where connected to if anywhere.

There is no real problem if not a TN-C-S supply, but it is and most are, then there are rules and recommendations as to how close it can be to other earthing systems, and can't work that out without being on site.

So no one on here can really answer the question.
Hi, it looks like it has a TN-S earthing system and that braided earth cable from the incoming sheath looks a bit old & thin to me. So probably needs a new earth clamp & 16mm cable adding from the sheath to the Earth terminal block on the right and also new 16mm earth cable from that to the CU. Won't do any harm.

As for the Charger, he wants that on a metal post in the driveway and he tells me there are no other electrical devices anywhere near it or anything metal within 3m of its intended position.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-09-04 at 16.51.22_1f0d63e5.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-09-04 at 16.51.22_1f0d63e5.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 14
TBH you need to locate a local EV installer via recommendation and get them to take a look first hand - random advice over the internet isn't ideal in these cases

As for the existing CU - that's over 20 years old and probably near the end of its useful life. Upgrading anything in that isn't something I would advise

It is impossible by looking at the DNO head to work out is TN-S or TN-C-S as the combining (C) may be anywhere along the run to house, as @Murdochcat says, get the installer to advise, you can't DIY as you will not be able to register the work, there are all sorts of methods used to get around the TN-C-S and loss of PEN problem, but where the car is parked does impact as to how this can be done, more that the actual outlet.

I know there has been problems with street furniture and EV charging, distance from lamp post to where car is parked etc. I have not done the course, so don't know all the answers, but remember years ago when working with portable traffic lights, being warned 25 volt is enough to kill a cow, OK we don't all live in the country, so likely hood of a cow brushing against the car at same time as a PEN fault is slim.

However there has to be a risk assessment, and in my own house, my rear of house parking space has little or no chance of a postman. milkman etc touching the car, and no street furniture, but parking space at front of house is very different, and there is a good chance of visitors touching the car.

And a badger is a big lump, don't want to have to get rid of things like that. Squirrels are bad enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back