Extract Fan Dilemma

Sponsored Links
Don't think so.
In which case, as I said, I would think it is debatable as to whether or not your fan would be in Zone 1. I would be inclined to argue that if all the electrical parts were outside of Zone 1, then putting bits of plastic under it which did slightly protrodue nto Zone 1 should not alter the fact that the "current-using equipment" was NOT in Zone 1. However, I'm sure some would probably argue with me :)
But I think most fan manufacturers make their fans IPX4 so can be used in Z1.
I'm not so sure about that since, as far as regs are concerned, merely being IPX4 is, per se, enough for it to be allowed in Zone 1 - since the regs also require ("...provided it is...") the MIs say that it is suitable for Zone 1 (and, as I said, I'm not sure how common it is for MIs to actually say that). ......
701.55 Current-using equipment
In zone 1, only the following fixed and permanently connected current-using equipment shall be installed, provided
it is suitable for installation in zone 1 according to the manufacturer’s instructions:

(viii) Ventilation equipment

Of course, it is up to the individual to decide how strict the compliance with BS7671 needs to be!

Kind Regards, John

In any case, if you are right, and the electrical stuff is outside Z1, even if the case might not be, then it complies.

Sponsored Links
In any case, if you are right, and the electrical stuff is outside Z1, even if the case might not be, then it complies.
True, but as I said, it is 'debatable', so I don't doubt that others might disagree with my view that your fan would (should!) qualify as 'outside zones' even if some of its plastic parts were in Zone 1. ... and I am obviously no 'authority', not even an electrician :)

Have a look at the instructions of a fan I'm considering, along with the S&P. Unless I'm missing something, there is no guidance on which zones in the bathroom it should go.
As I said/implied, I'm not at all sure that (m)any MIs do say anything about which zones their fans are suitable for (particularly in relation to Zone 1) - and, as I have illustrated, if you want strict compliance with BS7671, you can only install a fan in Zone 1 if the MIs say that it is suitable for Zone 1.

They don't say it's suitable for any particular zone. They don't say it isn't suitable for any particular zone.

They only say "suitable for bathrooms".
AFAICT, as long as the circuit is RCD protected and the fan is rated IPX4 or better, then all is good.

A spark I know told me this earlier:

"Check that the manufacturers' instructions don't state that it isn't suitable for use in Z1."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back