Felt roof cracked on edges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We moved in to our first house a couple of weeks ago and I've just noticed this out of the spare bedroom window. We have a half width, single storey extension which contains the downstairs bathroom and toilet. The survey did say the roof would eventually need replacing but didn't mention this damage, which I'm incredibly surprised they missed.

Is this a DIY repair job, or do I need to get someone in to replace the whole roof? The timber appears to be exposed which is a little concerning.

Attachments

• D27C15FE-2D3C-4794-A020-87E48AAE00C5.JPG
    D27C15FE-2D3C-4794-A020-87E48AAE00C5.JPG
    440 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_C4C666C2-5A6C-41ED-AEC3-15AAE915CDDA.JPEG
    IMG_C4C666C2-5A6C-41ED-AEC3-15AAE915CDDA.JPEG
    677.3 KB · Views: 16
Sponsored Links
Hi all,

We moved in to our first house a couple of weeks ago and I've just noticed this out of the spare bedroom window. We have a half width, single storey extension which contains the downstairs bathroom and toilet. The survey did say the roof would eventually need replacing but didn't mention this damage, which I'm incredibly surprised they missed.

Is this a DIY repair job, or do I need to get someone in to replace the whole roof? The timber appears to be exposed which is a little concerning.
It’s rotted where it’s been bent over and the sun / frost cycles have shortened its life

You could probably do a local repair, but have a close look and see how far the roof deck and joists have got damaged.

A repair would make it weathertight for a few years perhaps but you will eventually need to get it done….the rest actually looks quite good from the pic

Thanks @Notch7, yeah it's in surprisingly good nick other than some of the grit having come loose. I'll have to get up on a ladder and see how the wood is looking. I'm hoping this is a relatively new thing as I'd be baffled if the surveyor hadn't caught it a few months ago.

In terms of doing a local repair, how would I go about that? Some basic research has told me to buy some new felt like this from B&Q and join it up with some sealant like this. However not sure how I should navigate the fact this is at the roof/wall junction. It looks like it's (or at least was!) attached to the timber with nails

I've just been up a ladder and the joist isn't looking great, definitely seems like dry rot to me.

Attachments

• IMG_1571.jpg
    IMG_1571.jpg
    702.3 KB · Views: 10
Sponsored Links
Thanks @Notch7, yeah it's in surprisingly good nick other than some of the grit having come loose. I'll have to get up on a ladder and see how the wood is looking. I'm hoping this is a relatively new thing as I'd be baffled if the surveyor hadn't caught it a few months ago.

In terms of doing a local repair, how would I go about that? Some basic research has told me to buy some new felt like this from B&Q and join it up with some sealant like this. However not sure how I should navigate the fact this is at the roof/wall junction. It looks like it's (or at least was!) attached to the timber with nails
Its the drip flashing and would have been pinned to the drip edge with felt nails etc. That roof looks about 5 years passed its sell by date. Bear in mind that you'll need to upgrade the insulation (+BC application) when you do strip it out. A warm roof is the most logical way, but increases the overall height somewhat.

I doubt a surveyor could see that split felt from the ground.

@noseall yep that's a bloody pain, I assume because 50% of the thermal element is being 'renovated'? I lived next door to a roofer at my last place so I've sent him a message, I think replacing the joist is out of my wheelhouse especially with having to get BC involved!

Re the surveyor - they supposedly used cameras on poles etc to get a look at all these sorts of things, so they should have picked it up. Direct quote from the survey:
"Otherwise, although slightly weathered, in our opinion, the roof coverings generallyappeared to be in a satisfactory condition, with no significant defects visible."

@noseall yep that's a bloody pain, I assume because 50% of the thermal element is being 'renovated'? I lived next door to a roofer at my last place so I've sent him a message, I think replacing the joist is out of my wheelhouse especially with having to get BC involved!
Repairing or 'sistering' the joist, shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Yep indeed, but I think BC would still need to be involved given it then becomes a structural job?

Potentially this is not actually the case, it seems it would only be classified as "building work" if it was compliant before and wasn't after, or was never compliant and is now less so.

OP,
Your joists appear to be running from the other side of the roof, falling towards the gutter - where they end in a fascia board.
Good practice has the Drip Batten (thats the batten you show wet rotting) "wrapped" in the Drip Edge felt strip - the wrapped batten is nailed to the fascia - the Drip Edge strip is then flipped up on to the main roof and, typically, torched or cold fixed on to the main roof.

No joist should need replacing or sistering.
Poor installation of the stones has resulted in bare patches and gutter debris.
The two raised edges are losing adhesion.
Any damp signs in the room(s) below?

Thanks for the thorough explanation @ree . I hadn’t considered that the joists would be running the other way due to the fall. That’s slightly less concerning then!

If I’ve understood you correctly, the drip batten can’t have been wrapped given the felt is resting inside the gutter? Or perhaps there is another layer of felt on top?

It also looks as though it’s nailed to the joists rather than the fascia, which appears to sit below it?

Surprisingly no signs of damp in the bathroom directly below!

I think short term my plan is to pick up some bitumen tape and seal the area while I look in to solving it properly. Would that be okay?

OP,
You dont solve it - you strip and, as above, build a warm roof. Use a professional.
I'm well experienced in the building game, & my experience says do it right first time or you will lose more money, and have more worry until you finally have to go for it - just saying.

FWIW: the drip felt strip was installed totally wrong.

@ree absolutely, that’s the plan. I’ll get a pro in but will the tape do until I can do so?

Any thoughts on ballpark costs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back