Fitzgerald Choke Ballast CK120Z 20W

, ive never really understood why theres so many different starters, they all look similar inside.

They are for different purposes and have different striking voltages. Series starters are run in series so the striking voltage must be below 120v. They are for 2 tubes in series or single tubes up to 20 w on 120v or 240v systems. You can't use them on longer tubes as the striking voltage is less than the tube running voltage. Standard starters, generally labelled 4 to 65 w have a striking voltage higher that the running voltage of 5 foot tubes. But they can't be used with 6 or 8 ft tubes as once again their striking voltage is less than the running voltage of such tubes. Yet another starter is for those longer tubes.

Sponsored Links

That went a bit pear shaped.

There's a std diag on the ballast of how to wire it up.

They are for different purposes and have different striking voltages

apreciated, but what internally is different between them
Series starters are run in series so the striking voltage must be below 120v. They are for 2 tubes in series or single tubes up to 20 w on 120v or 240v systems.

Can you provide something to prove that, im not sure Any will do more than an 8w single lamp

They are for different purposes and have different striking voltages

apreciated, but what internally is different between them
Series starters are run in series so the striking voltage must be below 120v. They are for 2 tubes in series or single tubes up to 20 w on 120v or 240v systems.

Can you provide something to prove that, im not sure Any will do more than an 8w single lamp

They probably have different gasses inside them.

Regarding your second question I suggest you look at the manufacturers spec sheets., but I use series starters on 2 foot 20w tubes quite successfully.

Sponsored Links
Spoken to Fitzgerald Lighting today.

They recommend an S10 or FSU starter is used with this ballast.

The chap has now bought an S2 starter on my recommendation...

Nah, no worries. I'm convinced I used to use them for 18/20W tubes too.

phoning phiips may have been better
have you actually read what is stamped on an S2 starter

It says Single up to 22W but only on the Ecoclick starter. AFAICT, the other Philips S2 starters do not mention this capability.

It says Single up to 22W but only on the Ecoclick starter. AFAICT, the other Philips S2 starters do not mention this capability.
Sorry yea I should have said I use Ecoclick. Which don't mention series on them. I've been less than helpful in this thread. I'll get my coat.....

Sorry yea I should have said I use Ecoclick. Which don't mention series on them. I've been less than helpful in this thread. I'll get my coat.....

No, no... au contraire, you have been very 'elpful, m'sieur.

phoning phiips may have been better
have you actually read what is stamped on an S2 starter

Rang Philips Lighting in Guildford and spoke to their tech bloke who said they normally would spec an S10 but that there would be no harm in trying an Ecoclick S2.

Really strange, no sooner have I updated than the ebay buyer contacts me to say he has put the S2 starter in and...

It works!!!

watching-fireworks-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back