Food colouring/digestive system

securespark said:
Quite how the manufacturers have continued to fool parents into thinking that muck has any nutritional value whatsoever is quite beyond me!
It's called convienience! too many parents work and are too tired to come home and cook properly.

Sponsored Links
Anybody seen those genetically modified glow in the dark pigs on the news?
It could be quite unnerving going for a richard efter eating a bacon sarnie.

Stoday said:
Fresh asparagus always gives your urine a distinctive odour.

I finally got round to eating a rather sizable quantity of asparagus the other day, stems and all, but was most disappointed when my wee didn't smell. :mad:

Although, it was baby asparagus and I steamed it, so perhaps that is why.

I'll repeat the experiment with adult asparagus in the next couple of weeks.

AdamW said:
Stoday said:

I finally got round to eating a rather sizable quantity of asparagus the other day, stems and all, but was most disappointed when my wee didn't smell. :mad:

we wait with baited breath for the result ;)

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
AdamW said:
Stoday said:

we wait with baited breath for the result ;)

Nah, you wait .. stay 'bated', but more likely 'baited', about 20 mins should sort all probs' for ever.. :D :D

AdamW said:

You must be one of the 20% of people who can't smell S-methyl 3-(methylthio)thiopropionate, which is the source of the odour.

Normal people will be able to smell your urine, even if you can't.

we eat asparagus a couple of times a week and I must admit I've never heard of this, looking forward a sniff or not as the case may be.
anyone that dosnt already know, the older ones, bend from the bottom up until it snaps,discard the lower part, its tough and woody.
asparagus is amazing stuff its not harvested for at least 3 years after planting, its got no fat, contains no cholesterol and is low in sodium,its high in folic acid and is a good source of potassium, fiber, vitamin B6, vitamins A and C, and thiamin.

just found this:-

Why does my urine smell funny after consuming asparagus?
Most authorities feel that the compound that causes the odor in urine after consumption of asparagus is methylmercaptan, which is a sulfur-containing derivative of the amino acid, methionine. This is disputed by a few individuals who claim that the odiferous compound is asparagine-amino-succinic-acid monoamide, which is derived from the amino acid, asparagine. In either case, the product is formed as a derivative during the digestion and subsequent breakdown of beneficial amino acids that occur naturally in asparagus.
Ref: Merck Index, 862; Food Chemistry, Belitz and Grosch, pg. 271.

Wiki has some stuff too .. and about the smelly pee.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asparagus

Better tell Moz, 'Asparagus was believed to have aphrodisiac effects....' A salty old tale..

And more :-
growingtaste.com said:
sparagus Side Effects
Asparagus notoriously generates a distinct and distinctive odor in the urine. The belief that this only happens to some people--presumably owing to genetics and body chemistry--is false; the truth, only discovered in 1980 and still not widely known, is that a certain fraction of the population (this time really owing to genetics) is actually unable to perceive that odor, and so wrongly believes itself free of the effect. ...
But..
Wiki said:
Another thing worth mentioning with asparagus is that some of its constituents are metabolised and excreted in the urine, giving it a distinctive, mildly unpleasant odor. The smell is caused by various sulfur-containing degradation products (e.g. mercaptans and thioesters). As a result of studies it was not only shown that only around 40% of the test persons displayed this characteristic smell, but also that not everyone is able to smell the odor once it is produced.
:?:

Sponsored Links
Back