Good Idea?

Sponsored Links
That is going to be the case for ALL vehicles sooner or later.

Quite how it’s measured etc is anybodies guess

And remember about 1 million cars do not have insurance and the number of clones is completely unknown

All motorways become toll roads. Cameras at every junction, you are billed automatically.
Existing technology that's been available for years.

Which will drive the numbers of cloned cars up and illegal number plate sales through the roof

Sponsored Links
And of course how would this apply to the plethora of foreign vehicles on the UK roads?

And of course how would this apply to the plethora of foreign vehicles on the UK roads?
Switzerland charges visitors to use the motorways.

Interestingly, it's an annual charge, so bears heavily on people taking a one-week trip.

All motorways become toll roads. Cameras at every junction, you are billed automatically.
Existing technology that's been available for years.
I think they already are in Japan - the tolls help pay for the kind of service stations you don't see in the UK: clean, freindly service and modern.

I think they already are in Japan - the tolls help pay for the kind of service stations you don't see in the UK: clean, freindly service and modern.
But there is nothing to stop the owners pocketing the profits and letting the services run down

Like our water Companies.

You'd need to move to a country that valued public services

And public service.

Last edited:
But there is nothing to stop the owners pocketing the profits and letting the services run down

Like our water Companies.

You'd need to move to a country that valued public services

And public service.
Well yes...and no. With close regulation and a display of the clear benefits to everyone using the network, drivers could be persuaded to part with their hard earned coin - a 14-day Expressway Pass on the Hokkaido network costs 11,500 yen (£60), and prices around Japan don't vary that much, more or less. Service Areas can be found every 15km and have unbelievable standards, that make ours look like 17th century coaching inns. Parking areas offer fewer facilities, but are a big improvement over a simple lay-by and some even have theme park services, where you can enjoy the ambience of an Edo-period rest stop.

It isn't just EV drivers who'd pay for these services to begin with, as i'd make anyone driving a smoky petrol/diesel vehicle pay an extra toll for the privilige of carrying on their arcane practices, until they're left with no choice to buy an EV when those rusty dinosaurs are finally phased out.

I listened to a discussion about this on the radio, a woman was suggesting that they should pay perhaps £1 per mile.
I only do about 6000 miles a year, that would give me a £6000 bill per year.
What would it cost you? It would certainly stop me getting an electric car (assuming everything else that stops me was resolved).

IMO it won't happen like this.

Sponsored Links
Back