Hand Break only working on one side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
my hand break is only working on the driver side rear wheel not the kerb side rear wheel. I know this because I have had both wheels off and the kerb side wheel spins freely with the hand break on. This is not the only fauly on that side rear wheel. The disks get really hot after driving 20 mins even without breaking much . you can feel the heat coming off it compared to the other side . Its had new discs and pads its been in a few times and they fixed it for a while now its getting hot again and I just dont trust the garage. So I wondered if its a case of bad pads/ discs fitted or something else. The hand break issue is weired of course, most likely related ? any advice is helpfull thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It sounds like it's replacement rear caliper time at a guess but if you could answer Freddies question please?
John :)
Thanks John just answered its a Merc Citan Van(Kangoo 2015) just had the barakes done (im not 100% about the calipers I must admit . I have a feeling they messed up may took it back 3 times they are sooo busy and rushed it I think 1st time they were not bled properly soft as S! then now this ! so im loathed to give them anymore busness

No worries Robbie!
Just to clarify for us.......it has disc brakes on the rear, which also operates the handbrake - or - it has discs on the back but a drum brake assembly inside, that works on the parking brake only? I suspect the former, if you can see the end of the handbrake cable as it connects to the caliper, this confirms it.

No worries Robbie!
Just to clarify for us.......it has disc brakes on the rear, which also operates the handbrake - or - it has discs on the back but a drum brake assembly inside, that works on the parking brake only? I suspect the former, if you can see the end of the handbrake cable as it connects to the caliper, this confirms it.
Hi john
Discs all round that I beleive operate the hand brake as well, its was just disc and caliper that i noticed just odd it only works on one side and the side it doesnt work on gets hot AF . I do remember the mecannic when I took it in for the 3rd time put some sort of butterfly clip on it as he explaiend "to open it up when the brakes are released" as somtimes they do not open and stick :unsure:

What the mechanic is saying is that he has pushed back the piston in the caliper and that has freed things up until the next time the brake pedal is pushed. The piston then sticks in the caliper and keeps the pad pressed against the disc. This causes heat build up and squealing, more often than not.
A replacement caliper is needed, and this will show up on an MOT test.
If you intend to do this repair yourself, be aware that the piston needs to be wound back into the caliper rather than just pushed, using a rewind tool.
The biggest issue is often releasing the brake pipe to the caliper - some are screwed, some have a banjo type of fitting which is easier.

What the mechanic is saying is that he has pushed back the piston in the caliper and that has freed things up until the next time the brake pedal is pushed. The piston then sticks in the caliper and keeps the pad pressed against the disc. This causes heat build up and squealing, more often than not.
A replacement caliper is needed, and this will show up on an MOT test.
If you intend to do this repair yourself, be aware that the piston needs to be wound back into the caliper rather than just pushed, using a rewind tool.
The biggest issue is often releasing the brake pipe to the caliper - some are screwed, some have a banjo type of fitting which is easier.
Hi John

Brillient mate, yes it was squeeling a bit as well! Im sure they changed the caliper but Im going to a different mechanic now they are taking it in next week to look at it as well as the clutch issue I reported a few weeks back as well (master cylinder) .
Thanks all for you help in getting to the route cause of my vehicles problems I like to get sound advice before I spend loads on something to be sure its the right thing.

Sponsored Links
Back