Help me please....boiler cut out after bleeding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ohh thank god I found this forum. Maybe you could save me a few quid.
Only yesterday a friend came around to bleed the radiators as one of the radiators in the bedroom was only getting half hot.
Now this morning i noticed that the heating wasn't working and the extractor fan on the boiler was switching on everytime I turned on the heating. I noticed the pilot light wasn't working so i sparked it up again, the boiler made a few clunking noises then after a couple of minutes the flame went out again and the fan came back on.
On my boiler it has a measurement dial with 2 hands on. 1 is stuck on 6 and another stuck on 0 below a red marker.
I'm guessing this is the pressure correct? I also noticed the boiler is dripping (1 drop per 5 sec) so i put a small basin under it.
The boiler is an Optima 700.
I can only see 1 tap that i can twist and tried it and it seemed to be releasing water. It's a blue water pipe that goes into the boiler and connected to another pipe that has 2 earth wires on it.
I stopped it and thought I'd ask you guys first for some advice.
Also I've just noticed a small pipe at the side of my house that is leaking water.
Oh yeah and the toilet since bleeding has been making an annoying wheezing sound.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
i am not a plumber or heating engineer, but you have a combi boiler, and by bleeding the radiators you have lowered the pressure (you atre rigt about the gauge) you need to refill your boiler using the refill loop, you should do this with the system switched OFF.

for more information i searched for you and found this

it will get you back up and running as for the leaki have no idea, but do come back when our "resident" plumbers / heating engineers will be about

Thanks for your help Breezer!
If anyone else wishes to make a comment please do so. I'm still a bit weiry about this pipe outside.
Someone said it is the heater relief valve discharge. Ohhh that doesn't sound good :(.
What about the dripping from the boiler also. Will this stop?

its a bit early for the resident plumbers / heating engineers they usually wake up about 7pm :LOL:

(i am being slightly serious, Sunday afternoons and most of Saturdays these forums are quiet)

Sponsored Links
Hey Breezer that tap worked. I got the gauge up to 1.2 quit easily.
I'm thinking about trying it again, light up the pilot light and see what happens. Maybe it would be best to let the water drain first.
Thanks for your help, I'll keep my fingers crossed until a pro can tell me what to do. :)

The pipe to outside is from your pressure relief valve , its basically to release the pressure/water if it gets above 3bar ,if yours is dripping then you will have to replace it or you will be down to 0 pressure again ,it can be cleaned out but its a bit fiddly and easier to replace at around £15 DO NOT block it off if tempted. the valve itself (follow the pipe back into the boiler) can usually be released manually by twisting if you do this 4 or 5 times with the pressure at about 2bar it can sometimes blow the crap off the washer seat.

Thanks COG
Might it possibly be the water tank in the loft overflowing? so the float might be stuck causing the over flow.
I put the boiler up to about 1.2 and is hasn't gone down any.
Thanks for you time.

John

you shouldn't have a tank in the loft (unless you have a part time job in the army) ;)

combi boilers dont have use them as they are a sealed system (no doubt some one will point out that there is some type that do)

breezer said:
you shouldn't have a tank in the loft (unless you have a part time job in the army) ;)

combi boilers dont have use them as they are a sealed system (no doubt some one will point out that there is some type that do)

Hummm that's interesting!
I went slightly over the red marker on the gauge it's about 1.2.
Do you think this is what's causing the overflow?
But when it was at 0 it was still overflowing. Bizarre!

are you saying that you do have a water tank in your loft and it is overflowing?

I have no idea what its for but it is probably the ball cock jambed slightly open, its usualy cheaper / less hasle to change it (but you could try adjusting the arm first, and cleaning the inlet valve

breezer said:
its a bit early for the resident plumbers / heating engineers they usually wake up about 7pm :LOL:

(i am being slightly serious, Sunday afternoons and most of Saturdays these forums are quiet)

7PM on a SUNDAY breezer I aint getting up that early even for you mate :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

ok ive fired everything up. The boiler pilot light goes on a big flame then stops then does it again then stops. The radiators aregetting warm but the overflow hasn't stopped.

pretty sure that the ferolli optima is a condensing combi boiler so no tank in the loft.......not to feed the boiler anyway

A friend said the oveflow will happen until it's leveled it's self out..
the flame just keeps on turning on full then going off repeatedly. Is this normal?

the pilot light stays on constantly...the flames all fire up when a demand for heating or hot water is made, in the case of heating they will cut out when temperature is reached and fire up again when required. Is that what you meant?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back