Help with new extractor fan!

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi folks, I’m based in Ireland and I’ve just bought a new extractor fan for my bathroom ceiling but have found there are two lives and a neutral into three terminals in the old fan, T, N and L and the new fan(the same fan exactly) has only a two terminals, L and N. I’m wondering is there a way to safely combine the two L’s into one terminal even though they may be from different sources? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The second live is for the timer overrun (it will be a permanent live rather than a switched live) . If you don't need it disconnect it from upstream. If you can't do that , put a wago or similar over it. If you put both into the same terminal, AFAIK, the fan will never turn off.

Thank you opps, much appreciated, I will look into wago for the unnecessary wire and try that.

The fan might have a standard case moulding, big enough for a four way connection block. IIRC mine has a spike or screw holding an ordinary chocblock

Don't cut off the PL, you might get a timed fan one day.

Sponsored Links
Definitely worth considering a timed extractor, especially if thats whats being replaced. Most will give an adjustable override of up to half an hour. If you dont need it on all the time, add an isolator. The well known brands are not necessarily any quieter than some cheaper models, nor more reliable IME.. I bought the fantronix from amazon and its working well, and just as quiet as the vent axxia it replaced, 4” in line same spec as the VA 3 speed in lin3 model.

Hi folks, I’m based in Ireland and I’ve just bought a new extractor fan for my bathroom ceiling but have found there are two lives and a neutral into three terminals in the old fan, T, N and L and the new fan(the same fan exactly) has only a two terminals, L and N. I’m wondering is there a way to safely combine the two L’s into one terminal even though they may be from different sources? Any help appreciated. Thanks!
All work in a bathroom is covered by Restricted Electrical Works and therefore is illegal for anyone other than a Registered Electrical Contractor to do.

Any work in Part 7 of the Rules (Special Locations) is Restricted in a domestic property. The CRU has confirmed that this includes like-for-like replacements.
Does this mean that to comply with the "rules" you have to call a "Registered Electrical Contractor" to change the flippin' light bulb?

Any work in Part 7 of the Rules (Special Locations) is Restricted in a domestic property. The CRU has confirmed that this includes like-for-like replacements.
I've looked at that link and I can't see that in there.

Have you got a link, please?

Sponsored Links
Back