Hot Zone help - new duel electric and gas cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have just moved into a new property and the place needs some updating, including the kitchen. We've already spent a lot updating the electrics etc so any kitchen update is a few years away, so I've just decided to update the appliances etc. There is a gas cooker currently installed but its getting on and needs replacing. I've purchased a duel cooker - electric oven, gas hob - from AO and was due to have it installed last week. The problem is when they arrived they couldn't complete the installation due to the dreaded 'hot zone'

https://ao.com/help-and-advice/guides-and-advice/measurement-guides/hob

Basically, to the right and just behind the cooker (within that 40cm area) is the door and the plastic frame around the door has been deemed as within the hot zone. Apparently I just need to cover it up with a metal strip (not the entire frame, just the bit in that zone) but I'm not sure where to source this from? It is approx. 5cm (50mm) wide and ideally it needs to be adhesive. Any advice and links would be very much appreciated! Would metal tape be allowed?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that the gas hob is closer than 40mm to an opening door, if so then I think that may not be allowed due to the possibility of drafts blowing out the flames if the door was open. Which to me is a bigger danger than a hot zone.
Taken from another website:

What are the Regulations for Gas Hob Connections?

Before you start fitting your gas hob, you need to draw out your plans. Here are some things you can take note of:

• Distance: While you work, keep a safe distance from anything that could be a fire risk. If you’re working with an LPG instead of NG, it is worth noting that LPG tanks are more flammable than NGs and should not be placed below ground level. For this reason, consult a gas engineer for specific regulations.
  • Ventilation: While you’re keeping a safe distance from any fire risks, make sure that the room you’re in is also ventilated. Should a gas leak occur before or after installation, it is better to place the gas appliance where there is a window or door nearby. With this in mind, there are also guidelines when it comes to positioning your hob:
  • If the hob is placed under a window, the window should be at least 500mm away from it.
  • If it is by a door, it should be at least 500mm away.
  • The hob should always be against a wall and at the end of a worktop.
  • Hot Zones: When installing your cooker or hob, take note of the hot zone on top of and on either side of the appliance. Make sure that there is nothing fixed for 760mm above it, including the extractor hood. On both sides, the hot zone is at 150mm where nothing is placed up to a height of 460mm. Once you have your hot zone laid out, there should be no plugs, kitchen units or wares placed here that could burn or melt.
  • Gas and Electricity Supply: Your gas and electricity supply should be placed within 1.5m from your appliance’ location. Check what kind of feed your hob will need. Normally, most gas appliances only need 13A. In some cases, however, you will need a 32A fused spur.
Fitting a gas hob into your home is not as simple as it sounds. While you may have these regulations and standards down pat, we still recommend having an expert on board. Our engineers at Plumbingforce are Gas Safe registered and can install and test your gas hob. Book an appointment with us today.

Thanks for the reply.

No, the door itself isn't an issue. A gas qualified engineer came to install the cooker and the only issue pointed out was the door frame being within the hot zone and thus needs to be covered in a metal strip. Once that is done it can be installed. I just need a link or a suggestion for this metal strip, approx 5cm wide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back