How do I know if the house needs re-roofing?

Thanks all. I've decided to put it off for now. I'd know if they'd done it, because it wouldn't be covered with moss any more, but I'm not wild about the company's proposed use of biocides, as we have a lot of wild birds around, (and a couple of chickens wandering round the garden).

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. I've decided to put it off for now. I'd know if they'd done it, because it wouldn't be covered with moss any more, but I'm not wild about the company's proposed use of biocides, as we have a lot of wild birds around, (and a couple of chickens wandering round the garden).
Moss dies off in the heat of summer every year.

Sponsored Links
I prefer the Lakes in mid-Autumn or mid-Spring, really...not too touristy and the weather is usually more clement with an added bonus of fantastic colour all over the landscape.

Do you live far from Borrowdale rainforest? All the moss you can eat in there.

Not "as the crow flies", but it can take me a while to get there on the twisty roads. I'm sort of in the middle of the Whitehaven-Workinton-Cockermouth triangle.

There's a triangle in the LD:cautious: Do many American tourists get lost in there?

First visit to the Lakes during the summer of '76 i remember going through Workington and seeing the football ground - a large rusting pile of corrugated iron blotting the landscape. Are they still going? Stayed in Maryport and travelled around trying to avoid crowds of folk infesting tea shops and tourist traps. Been back many times since, most recently last year but not this year, i fear, maybe next year, perhaps. The Yanks can bang on about the Great Lakes all day for all i care, there's nowhere on Earth to better the charm and ambience of Cumbria. Even when it rains.:)

There's a triangle in the LD:cautious: Do many American tourists get lost in there?

First visit to the Lakes during the summer of '76 i remember going through Workington and seeing the football ground - a large rusting pile of corrugated iron blotting the landscape. Are they still going? Stayed in Maryport and travelled around trying to avoid crowds of folk infesting tea shops and tourist traps. Been back many times since, most recently last year but not this year, i fear, maybe next year, perhaps. The Yanks can bang on about the Great Lakes all day for all i care, there's nowhere on Earth to better the charm and ambience of Cumbria. Even when it rains.:)

Indeed. We moved here from Manchester nearly 25 years ago,with my wife's job and although it involved a slightly painful change of career direction for me, it's been worth it! We never knew this park of Cumbria before we moved here, having really confined ourselves to the South Lakes and the touristy bits. The coastal strip is indeed, largely industrial and very run-down. It's a pity, because Whitehaven is a Georgian gem town with stacks of history - nationally significant. However, you don't have to go far outside the towns to be in fantastic and unspoiled countryside. If you've not already been, I can heartily recommend the Ennerdale Valley.

I'll put that on the list of 'things to do' in the Lakes. I don't float so good and tend to stick around high ground - Langdale, Coniston, that sort of thing. Although Derwent Water is probably my favourite spot, seeing as the river flows through my neck of the woods. Wainwright is always a good companion to take along with you, but now i've caught the rainforest bug since a visit to Johnny Wood last year i've a notion to return to North Wales or North-west Scotland and explore more.

Wasn't the Cumbrian coast a vital part of the Industrial Revolution? I seem to remember mining was more profitable during the 17/18th century and the harbours were far more active.

Ah, yes, the high ground around Derwentwater is gorgeous. It has to be one of the prettiest lakes in the Lake District!

And yes, Newcomen built one of his first stationary steam engines here, to drain the coal mines. Bessemer set up his first blast furnace in Workington. We have coal and iron under adjacent mountains, so this part of the country was hugely influential in the development of our steel industry. My house is built over an old iron mine. And of course, before we started exploiting our women and children down mines, we were exploiting different coloured people up here! In Georgian times, Whitehaven was Britain's (can't remember, but 5th of 6th) port! Built largely on the slave trade and the export of coal to Ireland and the Isle of Man. Fletcher Christian of Mutiny on the Bounty fame, and John Paul Jones (founder of the American navy) were local lads. The latter even "invaded" Whitehaven (for a day!) during the War of Independence...

Ah yes, the Bessemer Process. That brings back fond memories from my Tech days. I assume your surveyor did a bang up job, although i wondered if the house used to be a school, as that clock looks like it's seen many more years than i have. I think the presence of copper and iron in those hills was mined in the Paleolithic era and became stone tools were highly prized when the iron ore reacted with the rock to form a reddish tint. There's evidence of trade as far south as Cornwall, which must've been a dangerous trip, by boat probably, since the Cymry held the land before Britons made their way North. I think the Romans took over Ravenglass for their exports of copper and Iron, but haven't left much else behind. I recall being very underwhelmed when i saw the remains of a 'fort' near Ambleside which seemed to be no more than one brick on top of another. :LOL: More tangible evidence than Arthur's Round Table, though. Lordy me, that bloke was everywhere in his day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back