I have installed 8 x 30 watt 12v led floods in my garden which are powered directly from a leisure battery but they don't work??

Sponsored Links
This is my setup so far......How would i wire in a 12v relay in the following scenario, so that the pir triggers the relay to bring the lights on...
1719752311868.png

Sponsored Links
it works out at a running amperage of 60 amps.
Eh? 8 x 30W = 240W.
240W/12V = 20A.
Are your lamps actually drawing three times their theoretical current?
You have a 25A fuse for a 60A load? Check if it's blown.

If the PIR isn't rated for the load then you want to run the output side of the PIR to a contactor. Search eBay for "12V contactor."

Is the 12v switch rated for the current?
When you say "25a" cable, what size and type is the cable?
Is it 2.5mm twin and earth you have used?

Have you actually got a multimeter? have you done any voltage measurements?
What is the voltage measured at the first lamp?
What is the voltage measured at the last lamp?

For now take the PIR out of the equation, bypass it until you can sort out adding a relay/contactor capable of the current.
(You can put it in a waterproof box next to the current PIR)

You wire the contactor in so that you have the 12v going to the PIR as it is but the output of the PIR goes to the A1 terminal of the contactor.
The 0V goes to the relay A2.
The +12v supply to the lamps goes to the contactor common (L1) and the N/O output (T1) then goes to the lamps.
The main 0v goes to the lamps.

Instead of a contactor you could use an automotive relay, these are designed for high currents and of course are 12v.
In which case they are different pin numbers.

However, you really do need to be using a meter to measure the voltage at the lamps.
You may have volt drop along the cable & this could explain why it's not working.

the cable is 2.0mm twin flat 25 amp rated cable is here (no earth as the lights only have pos and neg for 12v) There is only one independant PIR. The lights themselves do not have a pir. The switch is this one illuminated switch. I have broken my multimeter but have one on order. Cheers

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Not all of the garden is covered but there are a number of security reasons why I have chosen this installation and not all of them are facing in the same direction :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back