internal or external boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have previously had an exterior boiler - inherited when buying another place - which after about 24 months I substituted for an interior one. No hard reason for that, just that it had reached end of life and I preferred to put the new one inside.
Now, having bought another property (lots to do) I am thinking about a replacement boiler (existing one is about 30 years old) and going external in a boiler house.
Has anyone here any argument for or against?

Sponsored Links
Yes, oil boiler - live in a rather rural area, no gas (other than in a can) and you could not pay me enough to have ASHP

Yes, oil boiler - live in a rather rural area, no gas (other than in a can) and you could not pay me enough to have ASHP
I would put an oil fired boiler in its own boiler house if it was me.

A nicely built timber one with cavity and insulation so it’s properly weather tight and won’t suffer condensation.

In regards to ASHP, have a look at Urban plumber and heat geeks on YouTube…..it’s worth a look.

The problem with the U.K. is we very often don’t design gas boiler systems very well, so with that legacy, it’s no surprise we aren’t good with ASHP.

I don’t know if the new modulating oil fired boilers are any good, but if they are maybe things like variable flow temps etc might be possible or different temps for hot water, heating and even underfloor heating.

It might be worth looking at your system design and considering future proofing now

Sponsored Links

You can buy a external one in a heat Pac, I have a 19 year old 20kw Firebird SE boiler as good as the day I bought it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back