Is cement flashing to cover soakers correct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My slate roof has just been redone, looks like quality work by competent roofer but I am worried about the abutment flashing where my roof meets the next house's wall. He installed lead soakers at the abutment (which I think is right) but covered them with cement. I asked about lead flashing instead but he said because the abutment wall is rendered, cement flashing was proper. I am concerned about durability. How long will the cement last before cracking? Should I insist on lead? I assume that will come with significant extra cost which will be a challenge, so if the cement will last more than 5 years I'll take it. Adding a photo from last week that shows the soakers underneath, but the work is now fully completed, and the soakers fully "flashed" in cement.

Attachments

• PXL_20241003_140410051.jpg
    PXL_20241003_140410051.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
There should be a vertical stop end to the render and only a small portion of the flashing covered.

As it is, there is a big risk of that render detaching due to expansion of the metal flashing.

Either way, it looks like building sand has been used and that's bad if so

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back