Kitchen Extractor Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the midst of an extension and am looking at routing for a kitchen Extractor. Our kitchen isn't actually moving location and I'm not sure our building officer cares that the existing is simply a recirculating Extractor, unless we change it, but if we do routing is tricky to get an outside wall.

Can I vent out of a boundary wall, essentially into an open void ( open top between roofs, and front) between my neighbours and our extensions. It's a circa 125mm to 150mm gap. The alternate would be to bring it out the same but continue the duct run external to bring it to the front, or possibly have a down draught extractor and bring it under the floor and out at a low level.

For clarity, this is not a party wall/shared wall. My neighbours extension lies on the boundary, my extension is inset 125 to 150mm onto my land

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm in the midst of an extension and am looking at routing for a kitchen Extractor. Our kitchen isn't actually moving location and I'm not sure our building officer cares that the existing is simply a recirculating Extractor, unless we change it, but if we do routing is tricky to get an outside wall.

Can I vent out of a boundary wall, essentially into an open void ( open top between roofs, and front) between my neighbours and our extensions. It's a circa 125mm to 150mm gap. The alternate would be to bring it out the same but continue the duct run external to bring it to the front, or possibly have a down draught extractor and bring it under the floor and out at a low level.

For clarity, this is not a party wall/shared wall. My neighbours extension lies on the boundary, my extension is inset 125 to 150mm onto my land
Roof?

Roof could be an option, not ideal as it would lead to a mass going up from top of cupboard run, up to a vaulted ceiling then through. Could maybe be done with a super low profile flat channel but then there are also run lengths to content with

Sponsored Links
If you are only using a kitchen extractor then venting out of the side of you kitchen should be OK but you would need to use the type of external vent pipe that is fitted from the inside

If you are only using a kitchen extractor then venting out of the side of you kitchen should be OK but you would need to use the type of external vent pipe that is fitted from the inside
Purely kitchen extraction, yes getting a cover on wouldn't be easy from the outside at all. Not impossible but there are easier alternatives

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back