Lamppost cable. What are they for?

As I see it, human beings (and presumably most/all other land animals) are designed/programmed to regard 'the norm' as being standing on the earth (and experiencing the reaction to the force of gravity),
Yup, we notice a reaction force, attribute to "gravity" and the various smaller contributions go unnoticed.

Our ability to feel forces is really pretty crude.

but anything which increases or decreases that reaction (e.g. going up or down in a high-speed lift) will be perceived as something 'different from normal' - so, again, they do 'feel it'.
Only if it's either large or sudden.

Sponsored Links
Only if it's either large or sudden.
In the case of "large", I suppose ity depends up[on what you would regard as being large. However, 'sudden' is not necessary - for example, if one remains in free-fall for a long time, one will feel 'weightless' (i.e. different from 'normal') for the entire duration of the fall.

Well I reckon that if we are accustomed to a force much of the time we then set it as reference to all other forces so the 1 bar above 1 bar whilst equal 2 bars actually is noted as 1 bar for most purposes.

We take our baseline as "normal" and compare other things to it.

We realise that if falling far it is not gravity that is our problem it is electromagnetism.

There is no such thing as centrifugal force, it does not exist, yet the calculations as if it does exist works pretty well.

A fly can not stop a train yet we convince ourselves that it can if we overthink it.

Strange world innit?

Well I reckon that if we are accustomed to a force much of the time we then set it as reference to all other forces so the 1 bar above 1 bar whilst equal 2 bars actually is noted as 1 bar for most purposes. .... We take our baseline as "normal" and compare other things to it.
Indeed. As I wrote ...
.... As I see it, human beings (and presumably most/all other land animals) are designed/programmed to regard 'the norm' as being standing on the earth (and experiencing the reaction to the force of gravity), but anything which increases or decreases that reaction (e.g. going up or down in a high-speed lift) will be perceived as something 'different from normal' - so, again, they do 'feel it'.
So, yes, we are used to the force ('reaction') resisting the pull of gravity when we stand on the earth, ansd therefore regard it as 'the norm', which we essentially 'ignore'. However, if that force reduces (e.g. if we moved to the moon' we would 'feel' that change (feel 'lighter') and, ultimately, if the force reduced to zero, would feel 'weightless' - and similar if that force increased (as a pilot experiencing 'positive g forces' or if we ascend in fast lift (us then feeling 'heavier'). However, as has been said, that is not 'feeling acceleration', but, rather, feeling the associated forces.
We realise that if falling far it is not gravity that is our problem it is electromagnetism.
I think you need to explain that one a bit, at least for me ;)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think you need to explain that one a bit, at least for me ;)
OK then, theoretical example. Do not try this at home!
I travel to Blackpool , I go up that Tower to the top portion (Such a marvel that the French copied it! ) ;).
I climb outside and fall off.
As I am hurtling towards certain doom I thinks to myself "Oh SH1T, Gravity".
Actually I would be wrong.
If gravity was all I had to worry about it would not be too much of a problem, as molecular/atomic level my molecules are far apart and likewise the molecules of the pavement below the tower.
Most of my molecules would hurtle past the pavement molecules and there would be, relatively, very few collisions.
I could probably cope with that.
The real problem would be the electromagnetic bonds of my molecules and similarly the electromagnetic bonds of the the pavement both form mostly solid barriers colliding with each other.
Therein lies the problem.
Therefore I should actually be thinking in my final moments "Oh SH1T Electromagnetism!"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back