Large outbuilding for living.

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
EDIT 2 - this is the neighbour's garden. And the first one, on the left, is a double garage with small home office and WC

I was surprised at the size of the outbuilding in the back garden when I saw it go up, and now, there's another being built. I should point out here, I have no objection whatsoever to this, just a genuine interest.

I assume these are planning size, as look like must be above the 2.5m height - or are they (I guess a 5 foot fence along the back)? The gardens that back onto the park are long, so plenty of space. They look to be about 10m long, give or take a metre, so not small - about the size of my bungalow before I extended. Could probably get a bedroom/ensuite and open plan living in them.

EDIT 1 - found the planning application, for ancillary living accommodation.

I wouldn't mind something like this at the bottom of my garden. About how much is a DIY one these days?
IMG_20220310_134708699_HDR.jpg

The plans for the right one, the auxiliary living accommodation:

outbuilding.png

materials.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm really surprised they got that approved. I'm not sure if the proposed materials will pass building control, as its not fire resistant and less than 1m to boundary + over 15m2.

I would suggest DIY cost around 12k. I built one a bit smaller (non-habitable) but to code for <5k

Maybe they took advantage of sleeping planners!

Ok, let's say :LOL: it's the 'neighbours' that are not happy, lol.:LOL::LOL:

Ensure it is built to spec ie the height and the distance from the boundary/etc/etc.

If it is within spec, naff all you can do

However, if you feel it's been used to live in, then report to buildings control
in a concise and factual manner. Speak to the officer in charge first possibly.
If the planning regs are being abused and used outside that a typical example
used as separate living accommodation, trust me, they will have it knocked down if ater they get caught red-handed first time, they get caught the second time.
The owners will appeal but trust me once council officers start something, they finish it.

If it's been used and built as per planning reg, naff all you can-do kid.

(a lot of people are letting out these places smaller and bigger as a rental and making a lot of money - check that rentals site to see if it is being advertised as a room/place to let. - these places often have a separate trance from the road via garage or side door)

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
ps - for the council planning enforcement officers to catch them red-handed means there is evidence there that its being used as a separate living place, EG microwave, bedding, clothing and items associated with the place used not as a rest, exercise, leisure place but a place to live in

(they are allowed w/c, basin, shower, eltrics, multiple windows, etc, etc but must be used as per planning approval and built as such

A good give away is check the online planning apps and often these clowns may have initially applied to use it as a separate living quarter fro granny.carers etc - that is a big heads up (this request is almost always refused if set right back at the garden if a very long garden etc)

over 30sq metres so need full building regs which include fire proof materials as Motorbiking has mentioned

over 30sq metres so need full building regs which include fire proof materials as Motorbiking has mentioned

Why repeat that?
The bottom line, has to be built as per consent. If outside consent people can report or poss inspectors may pick up. Bottom line, as per my post and in summary, if not used as per planning consent, it can be pulled down.

So, if not happy with the build
Consult planning dept
report build if not happy and they will ensure if per plans agreed
if you feel breaches of planning later date EG used as it should not be report to enforcement and see if you can see, send any evidence of adverts, lights on etc etc.

a lot of people are taking the p and renting out these buildings or having family use it a separate dwelling because original property is too small - ie breach of consent

Why repeat that?
The bottom line, has to be built as per consent. If outside consent people can report or poss inspectors may pick up. Bottom line, as per my post and in summary, if not used as per planning consent, it can be pulled down.

So, if not happy with the build
Consult planning dept
report build if not happy and they will ensure if per plans agreed
if you feel breaches of planning later date EG used as it should not be report to enforcement and see if you can see, send any evidence of adverts, lights on etc etc.

a lot of people are taking the p and renting out these buildings or having family use it a separate dwelling because original property is too small - ie breach of consent

you are getting confused between planning consent and building regulations

using an outbuilding as a dwelling is a planning issue

you are getting confused between planning consent and building regulations

using an outbuilding as a dwelling is a planning issue

They got planning permission, so no issue at all on that front.

But still it needs to comply with Building regulations as its over 15m2 and within 1m from the boundary. Though it could be an optical illusion from the photo. Maybe the distance is more than 1M

Or, let's say that everybody is happy and nobody wants these pulled down, thank you.

Then why raise the point.

If I was really happy with an ugly thing like that, I would not post as you did in your OP.

Anyways, I don't want to argue with anyone so I'm glad you are "happy" and hope that everyone else builds something like that around your garden to make you very "happy."

For the record, I would not be happy as it looks like something I complain about even if was at the end of our very, very long garden, failing that a line of connifers.
Thank you.

Then why raise the point.

I didn't raise the point. You did.

If I was really happy with an ugly thing like that, I would not post as you did in your OP.

We are obviously not here for the same reason.

I don't want to argue with anyone

I wasn't aware that anybody here was arguing.

hope that everyone sles builds something like that around your garden

But you don't like it, and hope people build more of them where I live. What do you think that says about you? I can't say, as you'll go off on one again and accuse everybody of being mean and attacking you.

Sponsored Links
Back