Level 3 C&G cable sizing calculations

As well as that, as I pointed out, the regulation is written for a BS3036 30A fuse so the cable has to be derated by the 0.725 factor.
27 x 0.725 = 19.575.

Therefore, it is not really possible to match values to a 32A MCB with the mandatory things you must do.

Yes, but it does not allow you to use a 20A cable (except MICC); you must use a 27A 2.5mm² T&E.

Obviously it cannot. See above.

That is not the correct answer.

Using 4mm² cable it would not need to be a ring final; it could be a radial; therefore the question is invalid.

433.1.204 Accessories to BS 1363 may be supplied through a ring final circuit, with or without unfused spurs,
protected by a 30 A or 32 A protective device complying with BS 88 series, BS 3036, BS EN 60898, BS EN 60947-2
or BS EN 61009-1 (RCBO). The circuit shall be wired with copper conductors having line and neutral conductors
with a minimum cross-sectional area of 2.5 mm2
except for two-core mineral insulated cables complying with
BS EN 60702-1, for which the minimum cross-sectional area is 1.5 mm2. Such circuits are deemed to meet the
requirements of Regulation 433.1.1 if the current-carrying capacity (Iz) of the cable is not less than 20 A and if,
under the intended conditions of use, the load current in any part of the circuit is unlikely to exceed for long periods
the current-carrying capacity (Iz) of the cable.

No sums necessary.
Alas putting "No sums necessary" would not be the 'right' answer as far as the C&G exam marker is concerned...

This wouldn't be the first exam question I've read that has a 'correct' answer that is very dubious...

At least it's not me being thick. Somehow I just need to figure out how C&G come up with their answers...

Sponsored Links
I am not au fait with the 18th, but a heating eng I know said that a spark he knows told him that ring finals and 3036s were deleted in AMD3.

I guess they are both still very much part of 7671?

Sponsored Links
Re C&G questions, when I took my 17th update, I got one question wrong out of 60 and was disappointed. I knew what question it was, and I considered it very confusingly worded, but they insisted it was good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back