Live cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just replaced my washing machine and while removing the old one I had to get under the kitchen cabinets and I found that there was a length of core grey cable with the end half inch stripped and exposed just lying there. I assumed it was on old piece of unused cable but I checked it with one of those pen detectors and it is live.

Sponsored Links
It leads off behind the kitchen cabinets. There is no way I could get to the source without tearing out the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
If in doubt, turn off the power, check, fit an enclosed junction box of some kind onto it - at least until you can check it out properly.

It might be the case that it is a spur from an accessible socket. If so, when you loosen the face plates, you may see three sets of cables. One of those cables might be the errant one. You can then disconnect it. You will however, at a minimum, need a multimeter.

I am not an electrician, but I do use volt pens. They will give false positives (via induction)- but to date I have never has a false negative... yet

In reply to several of the response above.

It does look as if the cable could lead to a socket above the worktop, it certainly goes in that direction as far as Ican see. Also, their is a another cable under the unit that looks like it comes from the same location that is connected to a socket inside the cupboard.

I don't have a multimeter nor know how to use one.

If I were to fit an enclosed junction box what would I be looking to get?

If this is seen as a temporary measure I'm more than happy to get an expert to look at this if that is the advice.

Thanks everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back