Loft Horrors

R

ryanj

I've been exploring my attic today, and I found some very bad wiring..

Firstly, should the conduit be terminated at the light fitting, rather than just end and let the (wrong coloured) wires run to the light?

badconduit.jpg

Also, I found an open conduit box, with cables coming out of it...
What could I do to rectify this problem?

badwiring.jpg

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
yeah conduit containing singles should be terminated at the fitting and singles of the wrong color are a bad thing

also while i see an earth in the first picture i don't see any earths for the conduit wires in the second picture

i think frankly that cuicuit needs rewireing

Here is a snapshot of how it gets it earth, doubt it'll be much of an earth..

badearth.jpg

I have no idea how the second picture gets it's earth, but using a multimeter, I can see it is earthed.

I plan on rewiring the lighting this summer, should I redo it in conduit? Or not bother?

conduit is not as easy as it looks and is only for mechanical protection, no need in a house

Sponsored Links
nothing wrong with keeping the conduit drops to switches though and just running twin and earth inside them

aviods ripping apart the walls

The rest of it is good.. I recently rewired most of the other circuits. This is my next task.

If you're going to use the conduit that's in place, you might like to get some of these:

BXN.jpg

to guard against the cables chafing on the unterminated ends...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back