Makita hedge trimmer not pumping fuel

Not just now, but it depends on whether the machine will start once you've done the repair.
An aerosol of carb cleaner is good for the exterior clean and the foam air filter of course.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I had to buy a length of that pipe for a Titan hedge trimmer. It was 2.5mm pipe, it wasn't colour coded, clear pipe came off, blue pipe went on.
I got it at my local garden equipment repairer, they have all the sizes. The guy gave me a good length (be quiet, Andy) for £1.

Not just now, but it depends on whether the machine will start once you've done the repair.
An aerosol of carb cleaner is good for the exterior clean and the foam air filter of course.
Sorry, do you mean the carb cleaner is good for cleaning the foam air filter or I need to buy a new foam air filter?

I had to buy a length of that pipe for a Titan hedge trimmer. It was 2.5mm pipe, it wasn't colour coded, clear pipe came off, blue pipe went on.
I got it at my local garden equipment repairer, they have all the sizes. The guy gave me a good length (be quiet, Andy) for £1.
Sounds like a good idea, I'll pop into my local repair place and take the pipe and filter with me to see if they can sort me out.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, do you mean the carb cleaner is good for cleaning the foam air filter or I need to buy a new foam air filter?
I use carb or brake cleaner for cleaning the outside of the carburettor before dismantling, and it's also good for foam air cleaners.
It's toluene based, aggressive but works very well indeed.
We look forward to hearing the outcome!

Hello again,
i have now got the replacement fuel pipe so will be looking to get started on the repair over the weekend.

Do I need to get some carb cleaner? I have seen a can of it in Screwfix.

Is it an easy job to clean a carburettor?

Use the aerosol spray to clean the outside of the carb and the air filter area.
Delving deeper is much more involved and I'd recommend a replacement carb if you still have issues. You won't have wasted any money or time.
John

Well it turns out they sent me a length of pipe which is too short so I won't be doing that just yet, looking at it it does seem a bit fiddly trying to get the pipe into the small hole in the fuel tank. Should/can I remove the fuel tank in order to do this?

Also now I have the can of carb cleaner I might as well go ahead and clean the carb, do I remove the black plastic casing in front of it to get at the carb?

Best to remove the fuel tank to fit new pipes really.....I cut the pipe end at an angle to help it pass through the plastic.
By all means clean the air filter and it’s casing but getting into the carb itself is a real delicate process and you’ll need new gaskets and diaphragms ( 2 of each) as they are likely to tear.
You’ll also need the correct screwdriver like tool to adjust those two mixture screws afterwards.
This is why a replacement Amazon type carb is often the way to go.
Personally I’d clean the air filter, then replace the fuel pipes and take it from there.
John

It's not clear how the fuel tank can be removed, I've tried prising it out in all directions but it's solid.

Also the foam filter, (is that the air filter?) is saturated and has perished, I checked on spare parts world but a replacement is no longer available.
Can I just get a generic piece of foam and cut it to suit?

You can use a cutting from foam that is fuel resistant.
The tank may be sandwiched in place between other parts, or maybe held by screws.....one or the other!
John

Took off the filter case and carburettor, cleaned the carb, now that it's off it's easier to access the holes in the fuel tank so should be okay.

Just need fuel pipe and filter foam now

PXL_20240707_123458430.MP.jpg

PXL_20240707_124536550.MP.jpg

PXL_20240707_134802335.MP.jpg

PXL_20240707_134808680.MP.jpg

PXL_20240707_134812441.MP.jpg

PXL_20240707_134819264.MP.jpg

PXL_20240707_134827767.MP.jpg

I do have the adjustment tools as I needed a pacman type one for my Titan multitool so I bought a set, they look a little rusty should I spray them with WD40?

PXL_20240707_134834865.MP.jpg

The air cleaner foam may clean with your carb spray or even washing up liquid - so long as it doesn’t fall apart of course!
I don’t think those screws are the pacman type, rather round with a flat edge but give the tool you have a try.
WD40 won’t do any harm.
The carb looks like a Zama, look for a C1Q stamp and a three digit number somewhere.
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back