Makita hedge trimmer not pumping fuel

Sponsored Links
The air cleaner foam may clean with your carb spray or even washing up liquid - so long as it doesn’t fall apart of course!
I don’t think those screws are the pacman type, rather round with a flat edge but give the tool you have a try.
WD40 won’t do any harm.
The carb looks like a Zama, look for a C1Q stamp and a three digit number somewhere.
John
The foam filter has fallen apart so I'll need to get some from somewhere.

The pacman tool was for my Titan multitool but I bought a set so I do have the D type tool in the set, will give them a bit of WD40.

Do you think I need to replace the carb?

When you split the carburettor, it's pretty inevitable that the diaphragms and gaskets will split. It's vital that the inside of the carb is clinically clean so I tend to get in there with an air line and lots of carb cleaner.
Here's the crunch.......new gaskets and diaphragms may cost you around £15 as an example. You may find a replacement carb from Amazon or wherever for not much more - and curiously enough I've only had one dud after replacing maybe 30 or so. Therefore the choice is yours - but I wouldn't go any further until you've done the fuel pipes as you may find the machine is working fine anyway.
John :)

The fuel pipe has arrived, I got it from Temu eventually.

Now I just need to get a replacement filter but am a little confused as to what exactly I need, is it an air filter or a fuel filter? Or both?

I have looked online and found this and this but would like some advise on whether they are suitable for my trimmer

Current Makita filter is 20mm thick

Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The sheet of foam filter medium is fine for you, it can be cut to size or doubled up
That is for the air filter, the fuel filter is on the end of the tubing, inside the petrol tank.
You don’t need the air filter in order to start the machine.
John

The sheet of foam filter medium is fine for you, it can be cut to size or doubled up
That is for the air filter, the fuel filter is on the end of the tubing, inside the petrol tank.
You don’t need the air filter in order to start the machine.
John

Thanks, so in that case I might as well not buy the foam yet and try to get the machine going first?

Yes, do that.....some machines use the bolts to hold the carb on and it can’t be left loose.
The air filter casing may hold the choke flap too.
I can’t comment on the Makita though!
John

Just tried it and got it going but as soon as I closed the choke it cut out, with choke open I was able to pull the trigger and get the blades moving so at least I know it's not ceased as I haven't used it for about 3 or 4 years.

Any ideas why it would cut out when closing the choke?

Lets get this right.....a closed choke means the choke is on and the air passage into the carb is blocked - only used for starting.
One started the choke should be fully open.
If you have to 'juggle' the choke setting to keep the machine running, this indicates a carburettor fault or adjustment needed.

Lets get this right.....a closed choke means the choke is on and the air passage into the carb is blocked - only used for starting.
One started the choke should be fully open.
If you have to 'juggle' the choke setting to keep the machine running, this indicates a carburettor fault or adjustment needed.

Just checked the manual online and yes it's as you say, I was doing it the wrong way round, such an idiot haha

Well at least it still started which is good news, will order the foam for the air filter now and try the machine again in a bit,

Cheers

Whilst you are busy, check out those two screws on your second and third pic - see if you can identify the marks 'H' and 'L' anywhere.

Just tried the machine again, got it started no problem but now when I press the throttle the blades don't move

The screws do have a H and L

PXL_20240721_151608330.MP.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back