Measles

MMR is an attenuated (weakened) live virus vaccine, Covid is a messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine.

Do I need to look everything up for you? What makes you think they should both have the same efficacy?
Some are mRNA. Aren't there four different approaches in use by different vaccines?

The idiots keep talking about 'the vaccine' and ignoring that there are real differences between the different ones, both in effect, mechanism and side effects.

They don't want to acknowledge those differences as it makes their 'its all a 5G conspiracy' more ridiculous.

Sponsored Links
Ok all anti-vaxxers I respect your opinion, if you get ill please

DO NOT CALL A DR OR GO TO THE HOSPITAL.

You knew what you were doing, in fact next time you have a health issue resolve it yourself.

We don't need experts.

If you want to fly somewhere ask that the pilots who are experts be replaced with cabin crew or groundstaff.

Again, we don't need experts.

Sponsored Links
"The shingles vaccine helps protect against shingles. It's recommended for people at higher risk from shingles, including all adults turning 65, those aged 70 to 79 and those aged 50 and over with a severely weakened immune system."

They also do a pneumonia vaccine, I think I had it with the flu jab once, as I've had pneumonia and have a rattly lung. It also protects agsinst meningitis and sepsis, so all good.

I really should get a pneumonia jab. I spent two weeks in hospital (2021) with pneumonia and sepsis, had two lung drains inserted and the lung lining drained. That was 6 weeks off work and about 3 further months on half days.

I was unaware that the jab protects against meningitis and sepsis.

I really should get a pneumonia jab. I spent two weeks in hospital (2021) with pneumonia and sepsis, had two lung drains inserted and the lung lining drained. That was 6 weeks off work and about 3 further months on half days.

I was unaware that the jab protects against meningitis and sepsis.
I can't remember when, but I was given it before I reached retirement age.

I think it is routinely offered to over-65's.

I've heard that the bug causing pneumonia also causes bronchitis, and I seem to have had fewer severe coughs than I used to. There might be other causes.

I spent two weeks in hospital (2021) with pneumonia and sepsis, had two lung drains inserted and the lung lining drained. That was 6 weeks off work and about 3 further months on half days
Holy carp, sorry to hear that, I doubt that was a lot of fun

have you managed to get back to full health? -what you had sounds like a potential to be life changing

Holy carp, sorry to hear that, I doubt that was a lot of fun

have you managed to get back to full health? -what you had sounds like a potential to be life changing

Thanks.

(The only lasting thing that I am aware of is that my lung lining has now fused to my lung. It hurts from time to time but isn't a massive biggie. Other people have told me that I should have done specific breathing exercises. I didn't know that at the time though.)

I had already spent about 6 days in bed at home with a fever of 103.5 deg F. I assumed that it was the flu. At about day 8 I had sharp stabbing pains in between each of the ribs on my right lung. I got to the point where breathing really, really, really hurt. I couldn't talk properly because that exacerbated the pain. My GF panicked and called 999. They took about 90 mins to turn up. In the meantime, I took a couple of diclofenac sodium, it helped (partially) with the pain.

The ambulance crew checked my vitals. They then asked me to take a deep breath so that they could listen to my lung. I explained that I couldn't. They concluded that I had an intercostal muscle injury and not to worry.

I had previously had an intercostal muscle injury years ago that only hurt when I coughed, so I went with their diagnosis. I ordered a chest band from Amazon and it, with the diclofenac helped. I still had the fever but the pain was ok. After 14 days I rang my GP at 9am, he phoned back at 9pm and asked me to go straight to A&E in the morning- he said it could be sepsis or pneumonia.

The next morning, I got the tube to St Mary's, Paddington. Within 20 mins, I was admitted. My GP was right, it was sepsis and pneumonia. I was totally out of it for most of the first week. Weeks later, at the out-patients appointment, the lead consultant showed me my earlier X-ray. the right lung had completely collapsed because of the amount of liquid in the lung lining.

The only good thing about the whole thing was that a year later, a mate of mine started complaining about a stabbing sensation in his ribs. I relayed my experience and urged him to go straight to A&E, he did so a bit later that day. He was lucky that he only needed antibiotics to treat his pneumonia.

Oh, the other good thing was that although I was taking Oxycodone on a daily basis for almost 3 months, I discovered that if I had more than one pint on the way home from work, I felt really hungover shortly after. That gave me a massive incentive to stop taking the synthetic opiate. I know now that I won't become addicted to any prescription drug that prevents me from enjoying a few pints.

In summary- if a friend mentions that breathing results in stabbing pains between each of their ribs, convince them to go to A&E.

Last edited:
I can't remember when, but I was given it before I reached retirement age.

I think it is routinely offered to over-65's.

I've heard that the bug causing pneumonia also causes bronchitis, and I seem to have had fewer severe coughs than I used to. There might be other causes.

Strangely, and it may be a coincidence, I have not had a fever since the whole pneumonia thing.

That was 2021. In the 10 years prior to that I had 8 years where I spent a week in bed each year with a fever of 104.5 (twice in 2020- but at least one was covid). One time my body was over heating so much that closing my eyes hurt because of the heat. I used to force myself to get into a cold bath. Not nice when you have a fever...

I haven't even had a proper cough since then, a day or two of puppy coughs, but that is it. I ain't complaining.

Strangely, and it may be a coincidence, I have not had a fever since the whole pneumonia thing.

Good job if it does.

If we knew for sure we'd recommend it even more highly

I just had another look at the NHS web page and it says:

"The pneumococcal vaccine helps protect against some types of bacterial infections that can cause serious illnesses like:

meningitis (an infection in the brain and spinal cord)
sepsis (a life-threatening reaction to an infection)
pneumonia (an infection in the lungs)
It can also help protect against other illnesses such as sinusitis and ear infections."

It also says "If you are a welder or metal worker, speak to your employer about getting the vaccine."

I see it's part of the babyjab routine now, so, apart from Antivaxxers children, it should save a lot of illness and suffering. I remember when meningitis used to be a serious concern for young people.

Good job if it does.

If we knew for sure we'd recommend it even more highly

I just had another look at the NHS web page and it says:

"The pneumococcal vaccine helps protect against some types of bacterial infections that can cause serious illnesses like:

meningitis (an infection in the brain and spinal cord)
sepsis (a life-threatening reaction to an infection)
pneumonia (an infection in the lungs)
It can also help protect against other illnesses such as sinusitis and ear infections."

It also says "If you are a welder or metal worker, speak to your employer about getting the vaccine."

I see it's part of the babyjab routine now, so, apart from Antivaxxers children, it should save a lot of illness and suffering. I remember when meningitis used to be a serious concern for young people.

Sorry my bad, I didn't have the pneumonia vaccine- I had the bacterial version of pneumonia. But a year before the pneumonia I was in in St mary's because they diagnosed me as having potential meningitis. I spent 4 nights there, then they discovered it was covid- they let me leave the hospital

A friend at work died of it.
I remember one of our classmates died of it in primary school, 11-12 years old. You don't take it in in as kids but what a terrible thing to happen.

Sponsored Links
Back