Midgies in the garden problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would be best way to deal with the midgies in the garden? They are active these days, and bite folks in the garden trying to work.
We have tried the midgy mesh from Amazon, but midgies still get through the mesh. The mesh was totally useless for the purpose.

We might be running camp fire in the garden when the midgies are super active (around dinner time to the total sun set), but it is a bit of pain doing that every time we are working or hanging out in the garden.

Do you have midgy problems in your garden? How do you cope with them biting you?

Sponsored Links
First thing is to check for any standing water, the fry live in it and can often be seen coming up for air.
Water butts, water features without fish, watering cans, plant pot saucers, in fact anywhere an inch or so of water can collect.
Empty where possible, water butts seal any gaps in the lid so existing ones cannot get out and adults cannot get in to lay eggs.

My three top tips for avoiding midgies are;
Try not to exhale.
Don't go into the garden unless it is windy.
Move house.

Sponsored Links
First thing is to check for any standing water, the fry live in it and can often be seen coming up for air.
Water butts, water features without fish, watering cans, plant pot saucers, in fact anywhere an inch or so of water can collect.
Empty where possible, water butts seal any gaps in the lid so existing ones cannot get out and adults cannot get in to lay eggs.

Yeah, it sounds good advice. Thanks. We have some buckets lying around in the garden corners. When it rains, water fills in them creating the pool. Will bin all the plastic buckets and pots in the garden asap. cheers.

My three top tips for avoiding midgies are;
Try not to exhale.
Don't go into the garden unless it is windy.
Move house.
Cycling around the Isle of Skye on a sunny day is one of life's small joys...but i had the misfortune to run into a cloud of the pesky bug'rs and had no choice but to keep going. Never mind Florida sand, they get everywhere. I must've snorted a dozen as i kept going trying to breathe through my nose. If the Bruce had sent them on ahead of his army the English would've begged for mercy and yielded centuries ago.

Scotland’s wet summer is providing perfect conditions for surges of midges, with experts saying worse is yet to come. @the Guardian
This week the Scottish Midge Forecast predicted high numbers of the biting insects, reaching peaks of four and five on a scale of one to five.
According to Met Office weather data, Scotland had its wettest April on record this year with some areas recording more than double their average rainfall.

Bee afeared. Bee ver', ver' afeared.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back