My first 17th edition CU

Sponsored Links
Great work, especially neat considering some of the cables were the originals.

Are those solid or stranded conductors to the RCD's? The blue and brown sheath looks loose around them.

I can't believe the great RF didn't clip that white cable going south... ;)

We use Hager, too. Aren't those new blanks monstrous?

Thats an ELV cable for the doorbell. I forgot to get the new trannie, so it will be sorted next time I'm there :D

AFAIK, hager blanks have always been like that. Well they have as long as I remember anyway

Sponsored Links
It looks like a PME system (from the appearance of the service fuse unit!) - where are the Main Bonds to gas and water? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Nah, the previous version of CU had much neater clip-in blanks that fitted onto the cover.

The new ones are much bulkier &, like the MK ones, fit inside the board.

Why change the design, I don't know...

I've been using them big chunky blanks since I were knee high to a grasshopper :LOL:

I'm a bit perplexed now!

The old Hager boards we fitted had the clip-in-to-the-cover blanks - I'll post you one if you'd like to eyeball it - and when we moved over to the new Hager boards, the instructions were included,

"not compatible with old Hager blank - use new one..."

if you use the old ones, it distorts the whole cover horribly.

Nice work RF - Hager boards always have plenty of room even when full of RCBO's.

I remember using those big blanks in some TP hager dist boards I fitted in a big pub just after I had served my time, maybe 6 or 7 years ago.

I have seen the small ones like you get with merlin DBs but they never seemed to fit the plastic front of domestic type CUs very well

The old style Hager ones are better than most:

They have a very positive fit -

the lower edge has lips that fit either side of the cover and the upper edge has two bendy lugs to ensure a snug fit.

I'd post a piccy, but I can't be bothered to go down to the van & get one... ;)

I know the ones you mean, but they never seemed to fit the plastic CU fronts very well IMO.

Right, this is the CU which I fitted when I built my shed about 4 years ago.

Look, it has a big chunky blank :LOL:

Well confused now. [What do you mean that doesn't take much?]

Oh well.

This is what I call the "new" Hager blank:

NewHagerBlank.jpg

And this is what I call the "old" Hager blank. Actually, i think they fit very well, better than all the others I've tried. I use them on most consumer units where I find a hole that needs plugging :eek: :

OldHagerBlank.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back