Need help disabling one light switch of a two-way circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay so I come to you guys again with yet another electrical problem. I'm in the process of renovating a bedroom which used to have two drawstring light-switches (wtf); one by the door and another where the bed would go. I would like to disable the one by the bed, as I don't know where I'd want to put it yet - so I've got myself another Quinetic switch for when I do decide and can just put the wireless one by the bed or whatever. Anyhow, just unplugging everything obviously stopped the light working and unfortunately I didn't take photos before disconnecting.. (I say me, but it was my father doing this) so now I'm trying to figure out how to complete the circuit with just one switch.

This is the photo of the switch I want to keep connected (already fitted with a Quinetic receiver switch, not even sure if correctly):

20240708_181922.jpg

Now, looking at the photo as I upload it I realise that it literally says "do not connect neutral line to this product" so that's fun. I did just try replacing the neutral with the yellow (Com?) and that didn't do anything.

Anyhow, back to the subject at hand. Here's how the light fitting looks currently:

20240708_181932.jpg

And here's the wire mess I have to terminate/connect somehow to make it so the other switch works:

20240708_182019.jpg

Hoping this is simple to understand, though of course I've no clue just like with the previous issue I posted. Hoping someone can shed some light and advise me on the best way to sort this please?

Sponsored Links
It looks like the live and switched live from the rose are the red and black that you see where the switch is removed. (black should really be sleeved red or brown). So you could just move the switch to there. If you want to keep it where it is then you could "extend" the red and black by connecting them to red and blue. How you go about doing that and safely hiding the wires in the wall etc. I can't tell. Removing the switch also removes the safe zone.

Last edited:
At the switch you want to get rid of, join the two reds together. And join the black and the blue together. And join the earths together. And put the yellow in a connector on it's own.

Blue is not neutral in this case - it's switched live.

Best still, remove all the switch-related wiring, and run a new twin and earth 1.0mm2 cable from the ceiling rose to the new wall switch.

It looks like the live and switched live from the rose are the red and black that you see where the switch is removed. (black should really be sleeved red or brown). So you could just move the switch to there. If you want to keep it where it is then you could "extend" the red and black by connecting them to blue and red. How you go about doing that and safely hiding the wires in the wall etc. I can't tell. Removing the switch also removes the safe zone.
You don't have safe zones on ceilings.

Sponsored Links
At the switch you want to get rid of, join the two reds together. And join the black and the blue together. And join the earths together. And put the yellow in a connector on it's own.

Blue is not neutral in this case - it's switched live.

Best still, remove all the switch-related wiring, and run a new twin and earth 1.0mm2 cable from the ceiling rose to the new wall switch.

Hi, thanks for the advice. I did exactly that, connected the two reds together as well as the blue + black, the light switch is still not doing anything. Looking at the wiring diagram that came with it, while it says not to connect neutral - it says that it needs live in and out; does that help at all? I'm not quite sure what could be wrong...

As for wiring a new twin + earth, I see that as very much the last resort as my loft is boarded up so it's very difficult to do anything from that side.

At the switch that you want to get rid of, you have a cable with a red and black - that goes to the ceiling rose.

The red is the permanent live.
The black is the switched live, The black wire should have a red sleeve over it, to indicate it is a live wire. It is NOT neutral.

Both of your pull switches do NOT have a neutral. The yellows and blues should be sleeved with a red sleeve too.

You could try wiring your new switch across the cable with just the red and black (at the switch you don't want to keep) just to see if it works.

Are you certain this product does not require a neutral connection? I only ask because many products do.

If you short together red and blue at the switch (ie. connect them together) the light should be permanently on. If it is then that would suggest an issue with the switch

Red will go to live in on the new product
and
live out will be blue, via the black.

P. S.
Not part of the problem, but an earth wire has come out of the earth terminal at the ceiling rose.

P. S.
Not part of the problem, but an earth wire has come out of the earth terminal at the ceiling rose.
Thanks, will probs be sorted when I change the rose anyway - if I even manage to fix all this crap..

Hi both,

These are the instructions for the light switch, mine is the 1-gang: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Quinetic2/QURS_Instructions.pdf

I tried shorting the red and blue on the switch end I want to use and nothing happened. I'm no sparky but - could this be because the "live" is coming from the other direction rather than logically off-shooting from the main ring or whatever?
Try it at the cable with the red and black, without the red yellow blue cable.

Try it at the cable with the red and black, without the red yellow blue cable.
I turned the power on and touched the red & black together (on the side of the circuit where I want things to no longer work) and it didn't do anything. Sigh.

Could it be that the rose isn't connected properly? It was originally elsewhere and my father moved it to the center of the room, but I assumed he wired it correctly. To be fair after he moved it, the light switch did work, until he disconnected the one that I don't want to be using anymore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back