Need help disabling one light switch of a two-way circuit

Just humour me.

You have a light that is switched from two positions and you want to remove one and just switch the light from one position, is that right?

So what is the purpose of the Quinetic device?

Sponsored Links
Never mind. I have gone back through the thread.

Wouldn't it be easier to have a receiver connected to the supply and a cable out to the light fitting, then you can have wireless switches at each position? Then there is no chasing.

Just humour me.

You have a light that is switched from two positions and you want to remove one and just switch the light from one position, is that right?

So what is the purpose of the Quinetic device?

I still want two switches, but since I'm renovating the whole room - I don't know exactly where I would want the "bed" switch. So instead, I have one "main" switch with a receiver and then once the room is done and I know where my bedside tables are going - I will be able to pair an additional light switch to the receiver one and just stick it to the wall (since it requires no wiring). I simply don't know where to to chase the wall otherwise.

Never mind. I have gone back through the thread.

Wouldn't it be easier to have a receiver connected to the supply and a cable out to the light fitting, then you can have wireless switches at each position? Then there is no chasing.

Oh I've already chased out the main one unfortunately anyway and I've got an in-line receiver so kinda have to use it now (not that my problem has been fixed yet anyway)

Sponsored Links
Sorry...

Can you post the wiring diagram for the unit you have?

So you don't need to pair anything if you just have that unit installed?

You wire it up to live feed and switched live and it works?

It looks like it's only additional wireless switches that need pairing?

Do you still have the controller with live connected to red of the 3 core and earth and switched live to blue?

And at the ceiling, how are the wires connected?

There is only one 3 core and earth at each switch, so where and how do these terminate?

EDIT

That is wrong, I think.

You have a three core at the switch position you don't want, along with a twin and earth, yes?

Last edited:
And you have joined those wires thusly:

Red from 3 core to red of twin?
Blue from 3 core to black of twin?

The yellow you can sleeve and connect to earth at each end.

Thus extending the live and switched live to the 3 core where you do want the wired Quinetic controller?

The wiring at the ceiling rose is untouched (apart from reconnecting that wayward earth wire)?

And you have joined those wires thusly:

Red from 3 core to red of twin?
Blue from 3 core to black of twin?

The yellow you can sleeve and connect to earth at each end.

Thus extending the live and switched live to the 3 core where you do want the wired Quinetic controller?

The wiring at the ceiling rose is untouched (apart from reconnecting that wayward earth wire)?

Hi, I have to pop out so won't be able to answer any more until later this evening but;

At the end I want to terminate - 2 reds connected, blue and black are also connected (you can refer to the photos at the beginning if needed). The ceiling rose looks exactly the same as the photo. Yes, only wireless switches need to be paired, which is not a concern in this thread - they work off kinetic energy if that wasn't already obvious haha. The instructions for the switch are weird, on one page the say not to connect neutral to it but then on the diagram is shows neutral... Now, I know there's usually no neutral on lighting circuits anyway but still.

Anyhow, other than being told to connect the wires as above, I've not really touched much else; after connecting those I got excited when it worked but then the whole residual current problem started happening - and ordering a replacement switch made no difference.

My and dad were thinking about just pulling a cable through from the switch end I want to the rose and to the live that's coming in, that was gonna be the next goal. My only concern is how that would be wired but I guess he'll probably know.

The instructions for the switch are weird, on one page the say not to connect neutral to it but then on the diagram is shows neutral...
It actually doesn't.

It is poorly done but the Neutral is only the wire to the left of the lamps -

and the wire and terminals are marked L.

1720868112714.png

Perhaps try another light bulb and see if you get the same flashing.

But we need to double check the connections are good at the joint between the 3 core and the twin at the disused switch position.

A pic of those if not already posted would be good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back