Need help disabling one light switch of a two-way circuit

That's brilliant news!

Great result!

Indeed, though I wish I didn't have to go to such lengths...

Any advice on how to keep the capacitor safe/re-do the connection once it's up in the ceiling? I now realize that it's gonna be a big awkward to sort this out down the line as I doubt the capacitor would fit inside a rose cover or whatever they are called.

Sponsored Links
If you make the tails connected to the cap as short as you can, you may be lucky and find it will fit inside the rose.

Sponsored Links
Well, no. That's why I mentioned it; it would have said (e.g. X2). Sorry, I only just saw the thread.

But it's your choice.

I see. Alright, so the one you linked would be a fine replacement then I assume? Coz in that case I'll order that one and replace.

Yes, that's the first one I saw with a value in the range you mentioned, and stating that it's X2. (X2 is considered safe for domestic environments, X1 for industrial.) FYI, just about every piece of domestic electronic equipment has a similar X2 capacitor across its mains input. They cost more than normal capacitors, but it's what the regulations require.

Thank you for the advice, I'll order and replace then - better safe than sorry!

You'd have thought the manufacturer would have seen fit to mention that crucial point.

Didn't they give you a link to a "suitable" cap?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back