Need to run ethernet between buildings at height

FTR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would like to run an ethernet cable between two detached buildings at first floor height. There are tiled roofs on both and each building also has a window facing the other.

I'm undecided as to whether the cable will run through window PVC across to the other, or through a drilled hole at attic/loft/roof height.

I would also imagine it is less work to simply run the cable across both buildings in the air - rather than out the first floor, down the outside, bury into the ground and then reverse the steps to the other building.

Therefore, my question is asking what is the easiest way to get the wire across one building to another building in the air? Ideally the simplest method for one experienced DIYer and maybe some novice help. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Hi, I would like to run an ethernet cable between two detached buildings at first floor height. There are tiled roofs on both and each building also has a window facing the other.

I'm undecided as to whether the cable will run through window PVC across to the other, or through a drilled hole at attic/loft/roof height.

I would also imagine it is less work to simply run the cable across both buildings in the air - rather than out the first floor, down the outside, bury into the ground and then reverse the steps to the other building.

Therefore, my question is asking what is the easiest way to get the wire across one building to another building in the air? Ideally the simplest method for one experienced DIYer and maybe some novice help. Thank you!
Won't that add its own problems for people carrying tall ladders for example?

Do the two buildings have a common boundary or is there some land between them that is :-

(1) owned by a third party
(2) crossed by a public right of way
(3) crossed by a vehicle access.

If (1) then you will need to arrange for the grant of a wayleave for the cable
If (2) or (3) then the mininum height of an overhead cable would be 5.8 metres

Need more information really but as it’s CAT 5 or 6 then the electrical regs don’t apply

Common sense does apply in big doses

Sponsored Links
No issues regarding ladders, boundaries and height should be above 5.8 metres.

This is more of a practical question of how to actually do it easily and efficiently please

Catenary cable with good fixings. Cable drilled out at specified points and suitably tied to catenary

What is it you need to achieve?

There are many ways to approach internet or network connections in buildings.

For example I have a few customers with out buildings but the supplies to some of these buildings on the same phase so easy to use Ethernet over mains plug

Some are on different phases which means alternate solutions may be considered but prefer not to dig trenches or use overhead cables

So can use a mole to run the cable.
Or beaming signals between the two points.

If we know what the end game is might get done more detailed answers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back