Neighbour installed drain on my driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour is having their house extended. I have no problem with that, but when I returned from holiday I found that they had put a drain at the edge of my driveway close to where the new extension is being built. They never mentioned they were going to do this.

Are they allowed to do this? I have checked my registry plans and it is part of my driveway.

Attachments

• IMG_4878.jpeg
    IMG_4878.jpeg
    595.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4877.jpeg
    IMG_4877.jpeg
    538.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4876.jpeg
    IMG_4876.jpeg
    610.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just added some. The brick wall is their house and new extension, the block paving drive is mine - with the new black drain cover which they have put in.

Sponsored Links
That doesn't really answer my question. I want to know if I can reasonably ask them to remove it and put back my block paving.

That doesn't really answer my question. I want to know if I can reasonably ask them to remove it and put back my block paving.

No they cannot do that, without your express permission. You have the right to insist they restore your drive, back to what you previously had.

I see scaffolding on your property, to enable them to complete their works - did you agree permission for them to do that?

Thanks for the response. I did agree to scaffolding, I'm trying to be nice, but the drain was a push to far without asking.

Take the lid off and flush your toilets and run your taps to see if any water goes into it.

Also post a picture with the lid off.

Andy

If it's a shared sewer, they belong to the water company and they have a wayleave or easement to install (or to have installed) drains and connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back