New boiler nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long post alert: help please?

The plumber who serviced my 92 year old mother's boiler last year said it had a small leak and needed replacing. It was a very old floor standing boiler and the system never worked correctly, because if the heating was required, the hot water also had to be turned on, so we agreed to get it replaced before the next winter.

The Plumber quoted £3,350 to:-
Remove existing floor standing boiler.
Remove internal metal flue pipe and make good.
External flue to remain in situ as it may continue asbestos.
Supply and fit Worcester Bosch 24kw heat only boiler.
Fit magnetic filter as per building regulations.
Chemically cleanse heating system as per manufacturer instructions.
Alter Pipework as necessary.

My mother accepted the quote and the plumber was supposed to start the job last Wednesday morning. I travelled 15 miles to be there on Wednesday morning, but he didn't show up and later said he would come on Thursday instead. The same happened on Thursday and he assured us he would definitely be there on Friday. When I arrived on Friday, he and his mate were draining down the system and preparing to install the new boiler. I pointed out that the downstairs radiators had always struggled to get properly hot and asked how he was going to flush the system. He explained they would do that after installing the boiler and they would be finishing the job that day. I remembered reading about manufacturers warranty requirements for systems to be flushed before installation, and when I asked him if that would invalidate the warranty, he didn't reply and went back to his business.

At that point, I started worrying that he was intentionally cutting corners to be in and out as quickly as possible. Then I noticed the box containing the new boiler was labelled "15kw" and when I said "this boiler is smaller than the one you should be installing", he said "oh ####". I went to explain to my mother that things were amiss and a few minutes later the plumber came in and said "okay, we'll put the chemicals in today and come back to fit the correct boiler on Monday'. My suspiscions about him trying to avoid flushing were confirmed when they had to go and buy a bottle of X800. They came back, mostly refilled the system and left. I managed to bleed the radiators and instructed my mother to keep the heating and radiators on for as long as possible.

The correct boiler hadn't arrived by Monday, so they came instead on Tuesday (yesterday), when I was unable to be there. I had left him a note explaining that I had closed the TRVs on all the upstairs radiators to force the chemicals round the problematic ground floor circuit. At 1:30pm the plumber phoned me to say that he wouldn't be able to fit the new programmer until a 5 core cable had been run between the upstairs airing cupboard and the controls by the downstairs boiler. He said that this was my responsibility and he would come back and fit the programmer after the cable had been installed. I had no idea what he was talking about and said I would come over so he could show me. He said I would have to get there quickly, because they would be finishing in an hour and a half, so for the 6th day out of the last 7, I drove over to my mother's to be confronted by another headache: they had fitted the boiler at an inaccessibly low level with the flue terminating just 5ft above ground level pointing straight into the washing line. My mother and sister both verified him confirming he would fit a new programmer when he originally identified that the old system was wired wrong and eventually he said he would sort the cable out. I asked him what the water was like when the system was flushed and he said it looked fine and the new magnetic filter was still clean. He was refitting the old programmer and firing up the new boiler and I was suspicious that they hadn't even drained the system properly, because previous experience suggested it took ages to empty. I went upstairs to find all the TRVs closed and all the radiators full, which really got the alarm bells ringing and I asked the mate how they managed to drain the rads with all the TRVs closed. He told me "they just drain down from the other side" and when I asked how they managed to get the air out when refilling, he said "it all goes round in a circuit and out through the expansion tank". I'm an engineer not a plumber, but I believe you have to open a bleed screw to drain a rad, otherwise the vacuum will prevent water coming out. Furthermore, surely when filling a drained system, the air that ends up in the highest radiators can only escape via top bleed valves - not through the bottom valves? I told him I didn't believe they had even drained out the X800. Unknown to the plumbers, my mother's lodger had been working from home in his room upstairs and he later confirmed that nobody had been upstairs.

The plumber wanted me to fill in some warranty paperwork for the boiler, but I told him that he must complete the job first and flush the pipework properly. At about 3:30pm, when they were in a hurry to leave, he said they would come back on Friday to remove the problematic kitchen radiator and see if that was blocked - in which case he would quote for fitting a new radiator. I protested that fitting a new kitchen radiator would do nothing to help the other downstairs radiators get hot and that he should try using the valves that had been fitted years ago by another plumber to isolate the upstairs and downstairs heating pipes to facilitate flushing. He said "I don't have a power flushing machine".

This is now a huge worry for my mother (and me) and we don't really know what to do or how to approach this. I was going to call CAB for advice, but by the time I got home yesterday, they were closed. I don't really understand the full extent of the plumber's responsibility, but surely he should have identified what was required when he serviced the boiler and quoted for the job.

Please can anyone advise how we should proceed?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have anything in writing from the installer? Quote/estimate etc? If you have, that's where you start from. If he hasn't completed the job as per those specs then you have a case to have it all confirmed. Has he been paid?

You are correct, the system and rads will not drain down properly if one side of the rad is shut down. If X800 was used then the system needs flushed properly before anything else as it is very aggressive. They recommend no more than 20hrs in the system.

Thanks for the reply.

This is the quote:-
Remove existing floor standing boiler.
Remove internal metal flue pipe and make good.
External flue to remain in situ as it may continue asbestos.

Supply and fit Worcester Bosch 24kw heat only boiler.
Fit magnetic filter as per building regulations.
Chemically cleanse heating system as per manufacturer instructions.
Alter Pipework as necessary.

Commission boiler and register with Gas Safe.
Boiler will have a 7 year warranty. The only condition is an annual service.

Any waste generated and existing boiler will be removed from site.

Job cost: £3,350.00

He did also confirm via email that the controls would be changed to remedy the switching issue.

Is this acceptable?

Attachments

• IMG_20240820_154115.jpg
    IMG_20240820_154115.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 123
Sponsored Links
In fairness old system was probably Gravity Hot Water/Pumped Central Heating. Many were installed like that right up to the 80's when fully pumped became the preferred choice as it gave greater/better control, and involved less pipework.

Swapping over isn't difficult but needs to be done properly, with consideration given to the Hot Water Cylinder being suitable for Fully Pumped, and pipework set up correctly to avoid system 'Pumping over'.

I would expect given age of system, a 'Powerflush' to have been needed, a chemical flush is only effective if the chemical can get round the system, and even then it wont have the effectiveness of removing built up sludge like a Powerflush would.

Unfortunately the Warranty will be with the Boiler Manufacturer, if Boiler hasn't been fitted to their required specification, they are likely to refuse any warranty claims. Boiler fitted to a dirty system will be one of them.

Flue doesnt look an issue per se, but Diverter kit should be used if Plume would create a nuisance.

At this point I would seriously be looking to get a Third Party on site to assess what's been done so far and advise what further work needs doing. New boiler is never going to work properly on a dirty system, and you could well end up with further bills going forward getting things put right.

Yes, that all sounds plausible. The flue is a nuisance issue and not performance related (although the boiler switches are too low to see properly in that unlit cupboard). The wiring should be easy enough to resolve, but the consequences of installing a new boiler in a sludged up system sound bad and I'm hoping that someone here will advise what the plumber should be expected to do now.

Heating engineers are hard to get hold of at short notice and I need to plan how to progress things on Friday. Would it be reasonable to request a powerflush as the only appropriate option, rather than offering to pay for new radiators?

Attachments

• IMG_20240820_151213.jpg
    IMG_20240820_151213.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 96
Powerflush should be the first choice, replacing rads will still leave low sections of pipework full of crud, the whole system needs to be clean, not just bits of it.

New Boilers are low water content, and have very thin waterways through the Heat Exchanger, hence are much more prone to blockage from dirt in the system.

I would really be questioning if this Guy is competent at this stage, are you certain he's Gas Safe Registered?

The boiler height is ok - flue terminal needs to be caged if it's below 2m.

Is the installer willing to work with you to do whatever is required to get the system up to the required spec? Or is he shirking responsibility? Has he had the chance to make good and he hasn't? Is that all in texts/emails etc?

If it's the latter then an independent review of the system wouldn't be a bad idea as you may need to escalate if it's not right.

Thanks. It sounds like the most likely way to a quick and satisfactory resolution would be to put in writing what seems to need doing and offer him the opportunity to do it. I checked with Gas Safe and he is registered.

As things stand, I'm planning to send an email tomorrow, detailing our concerns about the consequences of the system not having been flushed in accordance with BS 7593 and the boiler manufacturer's instructions, and then suggest that the only acceptable remedy now is for him to have the system powerflushed at his expense. He will also need to fit the new programmer as previously agreed.

Does that sound reasonable? If he doesn't agree, then I ask another plumber to flush the X800 out and refill with inhibitor ASAP while the debacle is escalated.

I bet that old cast iron boiler would have tolerated those corrosive chemicals better than this new lightweight one!

Agree with the above - system needs to be thoroughly flushed out. I certainly wouldn't be offering to pay any more money for any more work until the existing is carried out satisfactorily.

Sentinel make a system check kit which will give you an accurate analysis of system cleanliness. https://amzn.eu/d/5S6hpWs

Worth noting that it is a requirement of Building Regulations that a hat loss calculation is required to be carried out prior to fitting a new boiler, to ensure the new boiler isn't oversized. Was this done?

Depending on how the contract was formed between your mother and the installer, she may have cancellation rights. Did he quote her while he was there or did he send a quote to be considered and accepted after he'd left?

Those are interesting points.

The Sentinel kit looks good for testing a treated system after installation, but for now I want to provide evidence that the X800 has not been flushed out. Is there a test for that?

We have not seen any heat loss calcs, but I have no idea whether they were done.

The quote was emailed to my mother a fair while after he serviced the old boiler.

It's clear that there has been a breach of contract under the Consumer Rights Act, so it is reassuring to have this as a means of getting any issues resolved.

I have just spoken with Gas Safe; boiler warranties and system cleanliness are not in their remit, but safety issues are and they advised that any flue outlet below 2 meters should have a guard to prevent the possiblitiy of scalding, so there are safety concerns here and they are going to send an inspector round to assess the whole installation.

My plan now is to email the installer, explaining that we don't want him to do any further work on the system until it has been inspected by a third party. When we have a full understanding of what needs to be done to ensure a satisfactory installation, he will be given the opportunity to complete the work himself or have someone else do it.

Is this a sensible way forward?

Those new boilers don't like any dirt in them.
I had mine installed a couple of years ago as part of a full system renovation with new radiators and new pipework all over.
Despite this, the installer cleaned the system before connecting the boiler.
So I suppose that an older system would need a hell of a cleanup before a new boiler is connected.

A simple pH test will ascertain whether there's X800 in the system, it's acidic

I just read that X800 has a pH of 6.3 in concentrated form, so almost neutral.

I just read that X800 has a pH of 6.3 in concentrated form, so almost neutral.
If there's any question over whether it was flushed or not, then I would be asking that it is done and done ASAP.

Good you're getting Gas Safe in, they certainly confirm whether it's a safe gas installation for piece of mind, no basket on the flue could just be the start of it. if it's a 24Kw boiler I wonder if he checked to see if the gas pipe was sufficient.

As far as the wet system is concerned then the installer has certain rules/regs to follow, if he didn't then he is in breach and needs to sort it. You never said whether he had been paid in full yet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back