New meter fitment worries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to have a new meter fitted. Before i moved in, a shower was installed. The CU had no space left and so an additional RCD shower unit has been fitted. The supply to the shower unit goes straight back to the meter, so in other words there are 2 sets of tails coming from the meter terminals. Is this illegal?

edit : also, the tails going to the shower unit are only 16mm and to the main CU 25mm

Sponsored Links
There shouldn't be two sets of tails in the meter, as its terminals will almost certainly only be designed for one (in fact the only way I can see you being able to fit two tails in one terminal would be to cut off some strands - can you post a picture of your meter etc?).

Assuming a standard 100A supply, both sets of tails should be 25mm - the correct way to do this is to have a length of 25mm from the meter, via an isolator (so there's one point of isolation for the entire installation) to a henley block (e.g. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK1100.html), and then run a set of tails from the henley block to the main CU, and another to the shower CU.

If it's as you've described then it's probably not 'illegal' per se, but is almost certainly against the wiring regs (and I'd be worried about the standard of the rest of the work from anybody who wired it up that way). The person changing the meter would almost certainly refuse to connect the new meter back up as is - it's probably worth you getting a qualified electrician in to have a look first...

It may be. Were DNO seals broken to do this?

Some meters do allow access for the 'consumer' to fit tails.

Not sure if the terminals are designed to have two tails fitted, so it may look a mess to say the least.

Possibly the main fuse is too big for the 16 mm cables.

Usual practice is to fit an isco block in the middle of the consumer unit tails.

If the current consumer unit is out of date then the best option is a new, larger consumer unit.

Pictures would be most welcome. We like pictures.

Sponsored Links
I'd be worried about how 2 sets of tails were terminated in the meter, but not that the shower switchfuse only had 16mm tails

Would also prefer to see single point of isolation

I take it the shower unit has correct over current protection as well as RCD?

With Rob on this one have come across it a few times in Gods Own County.

Some of the older meters do actually have more than one set of terminals.

Not that I've ever had to cut the seals, they were missing when I got there!!

Still if it were me I'd be fitting an isolator after the meter, then Henleys OR may well be worth having a larger CU fitted, pics please!!

i will take some pics sunday am

after looking again, the tails to the shower are NOT 16mm! they are 10mm so i will change this!

i know its regs and the law, but i just wish i could pull that fuse and do the work! afterall if im trusted to do it at work everyday in an industrial environment working with high voltages.....

besides the above point,

any ideas how much it would cost to get a sparkie in to replace the CU and to renew the meter tails? or does the DNO have to do the tails?

id be looking at getting a 12 way CU supplied by me, and so would just need the sparks time and testing. I know all sparks charge different and areas make a difference. any rough ideas?

Cost me £73 to have a PME (earthing) connection and a 100A isolator fitted.

This set it up for re-wiring and allowed the electrician to isolate and make any changes/connections downstream of the meter without breaking any suppliers seals.

right i had a part p sparkie round today.

He said he can pull out the main fuse, chop off meter tags and fit an MK D/P service connector block. He will then renew the tails from the meter in 25mm to the block, and remake off the original tails into the block. He will then renew the tails to the shower unit in 25mm.

He quoted £55 if i supply parts, or £95 quid if he supplies parts

if i wanted a brand new CU fitting to incorporate the shower, with dual RCD protection and testing he would do the job lot for £250.

does this sound ok?

in my opinion it sounds about right if his labour charge is £55 p/h

£250 seems a little on the light side to me!!!

Check he is registered at www.competentperson.co.uk

I now live and work in Notts if you want another quote btw and I am registered.

Don't jump in just because he is cheap!!!!

When he changes that board he will need to test before he does so to identify any faults and correct these at the same time!!

As a guide a dual board is £100 tails and assorted bits could be another £50 - 80 so he is only charging you about £100 labour?!?!?!?!

I can hear alarm bells ringing!!! be careful

It's probably about right for a cheapo CU, basic testing and an assumption that nothing will go wrong.

bhm - ask him what make/model of CU he will be installing, how many sections it has, will there be any RCBOs, how many spare ways you'll be left with, whether he will test your installation before he installs it or only afterwards, and does his £250 include sorting out any problems that the new board uncovers, such as N-E faults and borrowed neutrals.

As ever, personal recommendation is always the best way to find a reputable tradesman, but if you're having to go ahead without much in the way of references or personal recommendation, don't put any store by registration itself - sadly it is possible to become registered with woefully inadequate qualifications and zero practical experience. You don't have to spend long here to see people cropping up who are registered and "qualified", but who are clearly seriously incompetent in reality and who should not be charging for their services.

Did you know, for example, that this electrician could be legitimately trading and yet never have changed a CU before? You could be his guinea pig.

It's your money and you have every right to ask prospective tradesmen what their qualifications are. Just being listed here is not a good enough guide. No genuinely experienced electrician, with the "full set" of C&G qualifications will mind you asking - in fact he will wish that everyone was like you.

I feel sorry for people who have been misled by training organisations and (shamefully) the Competent Person scheme organisers into thinking that a 5-day training course, a couple of trivial examples of their work and some basic understanding of how to use test equipment will make them an electrician, but not sorry enough to agree with them trying to sell their services to Joe Public.

Hi there

I am a meter fitter for B Gas. you are not aloud 2 tail in any port of the meter. If there is 2 tails in the meter they should only be in port 3 and 4.
the tail can be 16mm if your fuse is a 60amp or 80amp if it is a 100amp fuse then it has to be 25mm. We now have to fit 25mm on all new supply

All you need to do is call your suppler and they will come and put you some blocks on to make safe. As they can come loose when forced in like that.
If they are in port 1 and 2 it means you are not paying for it and uou can get £10.000 fine or 6 years in the clink.
Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back