New meter fitment worries

Sorry forgot you are not aloud to pull the main fuse in the service head or cut any seals it carrys the same fines and time behind bars. you need all the right papers. no norm sparky can go into any service head or meter as it is brakin the law and if you do get some one that dose there job right they will report it. then it can be game over your naft. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Do you know of any electrician anywhere having ever being prosecuted for cutting a seal or removing a cutout fuse?

Sorry forgot you are not aloud to pull the main fuse in the service head
Do it on the quiet then.... ;)

or cut any seals it carrys the same fines and time behind bars.
No it doesn't.

you need all the right papers. no norm sparky can go into any service head or meter as it is brakin the law and if you do get some one that dose there job right they will report it. then it can be game over your naft. :cry:
I await your reply to RF's question with interest.

Hi yes I know of a few that have been. I did one the other day. We get called to them all the time, The customer had a key meter fitted that they did not want and had to pay £640 on the spot to have there power turned back on. Then what ever fine ontop. For the sake of £40 for an isolator fitting we would fix your wires and put your new meter on. but if you keep putting the meter fitter off and not let him do his job its not good. They can get the papers from court just to come in and change it as they would think your tampering with the supply. At the end of the day you have done nothing wrong that how they did it years ago. Just call them to fit an Isolator and you will never have to go into any meter or service head. You can go into the bottom of the isolator only then jobs a good one.
Hope this is what you need to know.

Sponsored Links
Well - don't know about need to know, but what I would very much like to know are more details of the cases which you know about where an electrician has been prosecuted when all he's done is cut the seals and remove the service fuse in order to comply with the EAWR.

Dates/places/links to reports of court proceedings etc.

This would be a useful public service, because AFAICT every electrician in the country is completely ignorant of these precedents.

We get called to them all the time,
Called to what all the time? Instances of electricians removing the service fuse?

The customer had a key meter fitted that they did not want and had to pay £640 on the spot to have there power turned back on.
Had to pay that to whom, and why?

Have meter fitters been given the power to levy on-the-spot fines for removing service fuses?

Did you properly caution the customer before he admitted that he had done it?

If not, what process did you follow, and how did you know beyond reasonable doubt that he was responsible for pulling the fuse?

What right of appeal does he have?

Then what ever fine ontop.
So if the £640 wasn't a fine for pulling the fuse, what was it for?

sorry youall feel this way about it but this is how it is. We have to sit tests to work on metters and its the same for service hads. do you have the seals to re seal them after so people or kids can not put there fingers in. I dont make the rules they just tell us what they are. they change alot of them about 8 months ago were missing seals are now classed as tampering. No one can just pull the main fuse unless you have the papers and sat the test to do so. you can only get them if you work for a supplier. and no I can not give you names as i am not aloud to. The right way to do things are you call your supplier they fit an isolator then you can carry out your work. the top of the isolator is sealed aswell you can go into the bottom. The £640 was for G4 time alot I know I dont agree with the price but they make it. Alot of the jobs I do are just to upgrade the metering on site. but the other jobs are cutting people off after not paying there bills. Or its tampering or there pinching elec so they get a key meter fitted and end up with the £640 on the spot. Its not the meter man that dose this he just puts it right its G4 that has the power to do all of this. They go to court ang get a warrat to come in your house and do what they have to do. there is a locksmith,G4,and us to do the work. Its a bad side to being a meter fitter but its not all like that. Sorry if you dont agree but thats the rules and laws we are told and thats what we have to stick to or we are out of a job.

sorry youall feel this way about it but this is how it is.
I don't feel one way or another about it, I'm just trying to find out how it is.

do you have the seals to re seal them after so people or kids can not put there fingers in.
I do, but that's irrelevant.

I dont make the rules they just tell us what they are. they change alot of them about 8 months ago were missing seals are now classed as tampering.
It always has been, but I'm going to repeat RF's question, as you don't seem to be answering it.

Do you know of any electrician anywhere having ever being prosecuted for cutting a seal or removing a cutout fuse?

No one can just pull the main fuse unless you have the papers and sat the test to do so. you can only get them if you work for a supplier.
It's been that way for 21 years.

and no I can not give you names as i am not aloud to.
If people have been prosecuted then the court proceedings will have been reported, and are in the public domain. Of course you cannot give details of people who have not yet appeared in court, or never were, but if it's been reported already then you are under no such restriction.

The £640 was for G4 time
So absolutely nothing to do with an electrician being prosecuted for cutting a seal or removing a cutout fuse, and therefore not in any way a useful answer to RF's question. :rolleyes:

Or its tampering or there pinching elec so they get a key meter fitted and end up with the £640 on the spot.
Tampering with meters, and theft of electricity are entirely different things to an electrician removing a service fuse, and they are not what's being talked about.

Sorry if you dont agree but thats the rules and laws
I didn't say I didn't agree with it - I'm just trying to find out how it is.

we are told and thats what we have to stick to or we are out of a job.
OK, so you are told that you have to report instances of missing seals on service fuses, I assume?

how can you prove that somebody has actually pulled out the fuse anyhow? unless they were caught in the act? easiest option is to deny it anyway.......

it should be mandatory that the DNO fit isolators to all houses/ buildings i think. That way there would be no need to have people breaking the law in order to work safely. think how much time could be saved rather than calling up, arranging a date for the fuse to be removed, and liasing with an electrician to come on the same day.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back