No reception whatsoever.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I've just moved into a 9 year old property that has aerial sockets in each room and dish on the wall, however, its not been possible to tune in anything whatsoever, (not even a radio channel). Can anyone suggest anything please?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Buy a tester.
Satellite Finder Level Display, TV Antennas Receiver Aerial Signal Tester Meter Measuring Device Simple Satfinder Plastic Digital LCD Display Locators for Optimal Positioning 13-18V DC https://amzn.eu/d/045hGuHr

Likely that there are some bits missing, so the signals are interrupted.

One possibility is that the sat receiver's RF out fed a TV amp so that the same channel could be viewed in several rooms.

Hi there, I've just moved into a 9 year old property that has aerial sockets in each room and dish on the wall, however, its not been possible to tune in anything whatsoever, (not even a radio channel). Can anyone suggest anything please?
Many thanks.
You have a satellite capable TV?

Sponsored Links
We need more info to assist.

Owned or rented?

If the latter ask the Landlord.

If the former what did the property information for say about TV and Radio reception?

Is there a UHF TV aerial on the roof (or in a loft space)?
Is there a satellite dish on the property?
Get a good high res close up picture of them...

As @Lucid says most likely something is missing:

Masthead / remote powered amplifier power supply (movers will pack em up in blissful ignorance).
Distribution amplifier in a loft or cupboard where the mains power is turned off or unplugged.

The meter suggested by @Wayners is almost as useless as a chocolate teapot. Especially if there is a UHF TV aerial and/or the connected TV has only a Freeview tuner. They are near useless for their intended satellite dish alignment purpose, too!

In my old house, the aerial went to the living room, the satellite also to the living room, then a coax from living room to loft, a booster in loft, and down to each bedroom.

So we could watch in the bedroom what ever we were watching in the living room, this worked OK in the days of 14" TV's in the bedroom, but as we started to use 28" TV's it was simply not good enough, and we moved to skyQ and the wireless system they offer.

So it may be that the wall outlets have not been used for years. The booster/splitter may be missing, or the power supply to any mast head amplifier missing, or simply you are trying to use a terrestrial TV to view satellite signals.

To get satellite in each room, will need an LNB on the satellite dish with multi-outlets, and not all LNB's are the same, I have a hybrid, so two outputs are for SkyQ and four go to free-to-view (not freeveiw) set bottom boxes.

Our main living room TV should work with satellite, however it will only show half the channels it should, I would assume the TV is outputting the wrong voltage, the LNB switches between vertical and horizontal polarisation depending on voltage, so will guess TV is not switching the LNB as it should.

But of all our TV's only one can receive satellite, all the others need a set bottom box, have you ever used the TV's on satellite before? Some of our boxes will show signal strength to help aim the dish, and my son-in-law has his dish aimed at a Turkish satellite, so is the dish facing the same direction as others in the street?

It appears we're wasting our time with this one post and scarper @Cherub
Didn't even hang about for the 8 minutes it took Lucid to reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back