Oil Filters

Sponsored Links
Yes, I've heard ebay is the worst for that.
I buy from autodoc, eurocarparts or gfs, so i should be safe.

After hearing that some filters, even branded ones, aren't as good quality as they used to be I only buy the best quality from reputable sources. That's usually German, eg. Mann, Mahle from Opie Oils or Halfords. The latter is even sensible price when I use my trade discount card there.

The Mahle air filter I've just put in my Scudo wasn't the cheapest, but the quality is noticeably (a little) better than even the Fram that came out.

I used a crosland air filter for a year, did 5.5k miles, changed it and teh only dirty bit was at bit near to air intake, the rest was pretty clean.

Sponsored Links
I used a crosland air filter for a year, did 5.5k miles, changed it and teh only dirty bit was at bit near to air intake, the rest was pretty clean.

I prefer the ones that catch a bit of dirt.

Establish which filter brand supplied the factory where the engine was assembled and use that brand.
Mann Hummel seem to be the biggest after market supplier. They own Wix and Filtron too.

Establish which filter brand supplied the factory where the engine was assembled and use that brand.
Mann Hummel seem to be the biggest after market supplier. They own Wix and Filtron too.
How about Borg & Beck?

Originally clutch makers of quality!
Probably all sourced from the Orient now.
Frequent oil and filter changes are the secret to long engine life.
John :)

Originally clutch makers of quality!
Probably all sourced from the Orient now.
Frequent oil and filter changes are the secret to long engine life.
What do you recommend , John ? I agree that these 15 000/20 000 manufacturer intervals are ridiculous, but would you drop to 5 000*/ 1 year as some internet sites ( Scotty Kilmer ) say are what's needed ? He doesn't directly state it, but think that's for town -driving, as he also often comments that "highway-driving" produces only 10% the wear of stop-start town-driving.

* I think he goes up to 7 000 for synthetic oils.

I guess it depends on the yearly mileage, as you infer.
For my diesel vehicles, it's a maximum of 10k - that's when the recommended interval is 20k or even more. Naturally enough on the old indirect injection diesels I would reduce this to 6k.
As well as the oil filter, I like to change the fuel filter at the same time.
The only petrol car I have just now is a self charging hybrid and that needs an oil drop every 10k. I'm letting Toyota deal with that one as there's hardly anything under the bonnet that is recognisable. The oil viscosity is 0W/8 for this one - and that brew isn't generally available. That car only does a maximum mileage of 5k per year.
Regards

ref: Borg & Beck
The brand is owned by Firstline and the parts are manufactured in China I believe. On the flip side, if one exits, Hengst, a quality brand based in Germany, have a factory in China too.

Unsure how you are going to manage that. This info isn't published and manufacturers usually ( always ) insist suppliers remove any identifying marks except those required by purchaser for QA purposes.

The oil viscosity is 0W/8 for this one - and that brew isn't generally available. That car only does a maximum mileage of 5k per year.
Regards
Gosh - never heard of that. I guess it will be multo expensive unless your deal includes servicing costs.

My car now does quite limited mileage per year, and being a diesel, I try to limit its use, to longer trips, where it gets up to working temperature. Rather than regular oil changes, based on time, I change the oil every 4 to 6k, ignoring the time between. The filters, are supposed to be swapped at 20K miles, so if they are good for 20k - they should still be good to change at every second oil change which I do.

Sponsored Links
Back