Old Conservatives don't understand

A real property is not a hypothetical property.
With your example property. When did the council acquire the property and how much have they spent maintaining it over the last 10 years?

You seem to have ignored the not very small print of the calculator.

Sponsored Links
Interesting graph here showing that land prices (green) for major house builders have flatlined for 20 years. I'd always thought the high price of houses these days had been caused by the price of building land. I know when you look for a single plot, the prices are outrageous. But it seems much of the increase in prices is pure profit. So, it could make sense for councils to get into the building game. Surely better than buying shopping malls? Can the land price figure be true? Not sure on the methodology.

1708469745253.png

So I can build a house rent it out at below market rates and then sell it to the renter after say 5 years giving him a 96k discount under right to buy having generated enough capital and income to build 2 more even allowing for the cost increases between project A and project B.

Just to check, if it's such a great idea, how many times have you done that?

Why are you so reluctant to agree that private tenants should have the same right to buy rented homes below their value?

Sponsored Links
According to a link denso provided. They do. No doubt the cost goes up because of all the useless employees that have to have meetings about the cost and check the 30 year nonsense plan.
No, you plum, that's 46k over 30 years. Not each year.

An average of 1.5k a year. Which is more sensible, they aren't building a new extension for each house every single year.
Maintenance of the existing tenanted stock (subject to Right to Buy sales and inflation) is modelled at a total of £1,250million over the 30 years using the latest HIP figures equating to c£46,750 per unit
link: https://democracy.bristol.gov.uk/documents/s68685/Appendix A4 Business Plan Commentary.pdf

How much do you pay to maintain your house? I'm getting serious "It's one banana, Michael. What could it cost, $10?" vibes here :LOL:

No, you plum, that's 46k over 30 years. Not each year.

An average of 1.5k a year. Which is more sensible, they aren't building a new extension for each house every single year.

link: https://democracy.bristol.gov.uk/documents/s68685/Appendix A4 Business Plan Commentary.pdf

How much do you pay to maintain your house? I'm getting serious "It's one banana, Michael. What could it cost, $10?" vibes here :LOL:
thanks for the spot, in any case nobody is getting 70% discount.

Interesting graph here showing that land prices (green) for major house builders have flatlined for 20 years. I'd always thought the high price of houses these days had been caused by the price of building land. I know when you look for a single plot, the prices are outrageous. But it seems much of the increase in prices is pure profit. So, it could make sense for councils to get into the building game. Surely better than buying shopping malls? Can the land price figure be true? Not sure on the methodology.

View attachment 333731

house builders make a lot of their profit margin on the increase in house price rises

everybody would love to be in a market where the sale price of you products increases while you are building it

no wonder housebuilders have an interest in controlling the market

house builders make a lot of their profit margin on the increase in house price rises

everybody would love to be in a market where the sale price of you products increases while you are building it

no wonder housebuilders have an interest in controlling the market

That of course, isn't true. The profit is in the cost vs sale price.. Any minor increase in value from start of project to finish of project is a rounding error. Not to mention that in the last 18 months prices have flattened or fallen a little.

The vast majority of businesses that manufacture goods are in the business "where the sale price of you products increases while you are building it". Exceptions are high techs, where the value falls due to innovation.

Happy to summarise. According to industry data a new build costing around £139k including all costs has a value of around £320k when finished.

So I can build a house rent it out at below market rates and then sell it to the renter after say 5 years giving him a 96k discount under right to buy having generated enough capital and income to build 2 more even allowing for the cost increases between project A and project B.

As a council I am also in control of the planing process and exempt from many of the taxes corporations pay.
And forego 30 yrs rental income. You don't know how this works do you?

Is the maximum available discount 70% or not? It's a yes or no question.
Subject to deductions and caps - which you want to ignore.
And forego 30 yrs rental income. You don't know how this works do you?
Nobody foregoes 30 years rent. Per unit it would be less than 10% of asset owned life. (24 weeks out of 260)

You understand the model is Build it, rent it, sell it, repeat X2.
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 11.51.07.png

Here are the numbers over a 15 year period starting with 1 single new build sold after 5 years vs rented for the full term.

The Local Council is better off by £57k with my model. Plus they create 3-4 more council houses vs 1. They also avoid maintenance which might increase from about year 5 on.

All this moaning about how right to buy reduces housing stock - is nonsense.

Last edited:
All this moaning about how right to buy reduces housing stock - is nonsense.

However, people like me, who say it reduces social housing stock, penalises the needy, increases public costs, dispossesses taxpayers to benefit a lucky minority, and feeds the private rental trade, are correct.

Strange that despite the beliefs you claim to hold about about the benefits of owners being forced to sell assets below their value, you dont want the same to be imposed onto private landlords.

Sponsored Links
Back