Old switch vs new

Sponsored Links
Re single switch, just checked packet and it says control switch.
You divided the switches (marked the triangles) wrongly.

The 'loop' terminal is just a spare for terminating the Neutrals if you have them at the switch.
It is not part of nor connected to any of the switches.
13A1238B-934E-4216-A989-B5470AF15166.jpeg

Tbh they mean nothing to me. I am ok with like for like which this is not.

Sponsored Links
How to separate the the hall light from the outside light;-

TURN OFF ALL OF THE POWER AND CHECK THE POWER IS COMPLETELY OFF.
At the light with the white round base fixed to the ceiling (the one with the single yellow wire on it's own).

Remove the bunch of twisted brown wires from the connector block. This means only the one red and one blue remain in the connector.

Put the bunch of brown wires into the connector with the single yellow wire. So this connector has the yellow and the bunch of browns.

How to separate the the hall light from the outside light;-

TURN OFF ALL OF THE POWER AND CHECK THE POWER IS COMPLETELY OFF.
At the light with the white round base fixed to the ceiling (the one with the single yellow wire on it's own).

Remove the bunch of twisted brown wires from the connector block. This means only the one red and one blue remain in the connector.

Put the bunch of brown wires into the connector with the single yellow wire. So this connector has the yellow and the bunch of browns.

ive actually removed the ceiling rose as ive fitted a new light.

there is no yellow wire. Thats an earth to light. There is Also a pair of earth linked. Then 2 blacks to lights neutral, 1 black to lights live, then 3 red joined.

You sent photos of TWO different lights.

I am talking about the light fitting which has a plain yellow wire at it.

And attachment 214437. These two pictures. This light is the one I am talking about.

ive actually removed the ceiling rose as ive fitted a new light.

there is no yellow wire. Thats an earth to light. There is Also a pair of earth linked. Then 2 blacks to lights neutral, 1 black to lights live, then 3 red joined.

I'm not talking about this one, the picture of the light I refer to has a blue and a yellow wire emerging from the ceiling in addition to reds and blacks.

Sorry i changed 2 lights. The downstairs one had the rose. I cant remember if that was a yellow or an earth. I know i connected an earth to the new light so reckon it was that as the earth off the old light went to a block on the rose and i took the rose down. I would check but these were the worst lights to fit that i have ever had to deal with. Trying to get the screws into the bracket was a nightmare

It will be the downstairs hall one, the one which had a white rose in the pictures 1 and 2.

It should have a seperate yellow, plus several earth wires.

You won't be able to have this switched independently from the outside light unless you take it down.

You certainly don't want to be confusing the yellow wire with the green and yellow wires, or you will have a dangerous situation on your hands.

TURN THE POWER FULLY OFF BEFORE INVESTIGATING THIS.

The struggle was likely as you have refiitted the old ceiling rose over the bracket, when not needed, the Blue wire in the connecter is possibly the original switch wire from the porch light switch, the Yellow being originally for just the Downstairs light as Sparkwright suggests.

Also the amount of copper showing on that termination needs attention

7f614f4d-17a5-4d80-aa83-14464f320868-jpeg.214435

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back