Old switch vs new

I think this is the old fitting, he's since changed it.

The bunch of browns need taking out from that connector, and the browns then should join up with the plain yellow wire.

Sponsored Links
The struggle was likely as you have refiitted the old ceiling rose over the bracket, when not needed, the yellow wire in the connecter on it own is likely the original switch wire from the porch light switch, the blue being originally for just the Downstairs light

Also the amount of copper showing on that termination needs attention

7f614f4d-17a5-4d80-aa83-14464f320868-jpeg.214435
This was like this when i moved in. Today i took this down and fitted a new light. Removed the old light rose and bracket. So removed the 3 brown and 2 blue and replaced them with 1 brown, 1 blue and 1 earth which were on new light. So all i have done is take off the old light and added a new. Everything else is as it was.

Are you going to take it down and change the wiring so it's separate from the outside light?

I think this is the old fitting, he's since changed it.

The bunch of browns need taking out from that connector, and the browns then should join up with the plain yellow wire.

yes correct. The 3brown and 2 blue were to the old light which i took down. I then put the new live to the red and blue and the new neutral to the black so like for like. Are you saying the red and blue should have nothing in and the lights live should be in the yellow? If indeed it was a yellow and not another earth.

Sponsored Links
Yes.

The yellow goes to the switch that doesn't do anything.

I TAKE IT IT IS THE MIDDLE SWITCH THAT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING?

I am saying remove the brown light fitting flex from the connector which also has a red and blue.

Leave the blue and red in the connector on their own.

Put the brown light fitting flex into the connector with the single plain yellow wire.

This should make the the hall light be on a separate switch to the outside light.

Leave the wiring at the light switch as it is.

Last edited:
Thanks although i nay end up ripping all the wiring out with frustration of trying to screw the light back to the bracket! Whoever designed the light needs a new job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back