Outdoor toilet leaking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a outdoor toilet and we had carpet in there, but yesterday went in there and the carpet was soaking went so took the carpet up to see if l could pin point where the water is coming from .
Checked all around and then flushed the system and the water in the bowl rose up and went down slowly then seen water coming from the base to the concrete floor not where the toilet connects to the base but the floor side.. could someone help me out here and tell me what the problem could be and how to rectify this.. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Photo of the joint between the pan and the drain would help, but I rather suspect you may have terminal damage somewhere which may not be easy to fix.

Water level rising rapidly when flushed and slowly receding is a sure sign of a blocked drain, I'd be checking downstream Manholes for any signs of an issue and rectify that first. Then back to the Toilet, if its leaking when flushed, I would firstly suspect an issue with the connection between the pan and the drain, (assuming the outlet goes straight into the floor), as the pan is filling with water it is escaping from somewhere it shouldn't and soaking the floor.

Leaking from lower part of base joint to the concrete floor..

Attachments

• 7BC44BC5-70AF-472A-88A2-F7F6F7EB95E3.jpeg
    7BC44BC5-70AF-472A-88A2-F7F6F7EB95E3.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 5D542E30-A5BD-42DF-9DA0-98FE31953360.jpeg
    5D542E30-A5BD-42DF-9DA0-98FE31953360.jpeg
    390.8 KB · Views: 15
Get the drain checked first, make sure there are no restrictions causing the level in the pan to rise as you describe. May be able to seal up round the outlet with something suitable to stop it leaking, shouldn't be much pressure there under normal circumstances. It may well be the pan connector is leaking, the seal on the pan outlet doesn't look too spectacular, almost as if its under stress as the pan position is too far back to suit the drain.

I'd be very wary of trying to replace the connector pan would have to be removed to do so, and chances of getting the pan out without breaking it may be slim.

Sponsored Links
As the soil pipe is restricted, shown by the backing up of the toilet, it is putting water pressure on that pan connector seal, it isn't designed to take any pressure really, that water then pushes back up past that seal and onto the floor.

As suggested, get the restriction/blockage sorted out first and you may find that'll solve the issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back