Over loading the cable ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ring main in my kitchen and if the washing machine, dishwasher & kettle is on at the same time which is 13amp each giving a total 39 amp and yet the 2.5mm2 cable current rating is design for 24amp, in theory this should tripped the C/U ? or am I thinking wrong ? I don't think we ever done this but what happen if we do ?

You can see I'm not a electrician ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes, but with a ring you have two cables, wouldn't this make your ring have a total capacity of 48A?

Meaning each cable would carry around 19.5A?

Kettles only draw 9A or so, and it is unlikely the washing machine and dishwasher will be heating water at the same time so I would doubt you really see more than 20A on your kitchen circuit usually.

What rating is the breaker at the CU?

1: kettles are rarely 13A (3KW)
2: niether washing machiens or dishwashers are heating all the time
3: small overloads will take a long time to blow a fuse or trip a mcb cables are designed with this in mind

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
Yes, but with a ring you have two cables, wouldn't this make your ring have a total capacity of 48A?
Meaning each cable would carry around 19.5A?
Ahhh, fully understand now ! So this is why on the spur you can only go up to 24amp rating........
What rating is the breaker at the CU?
Don't know, I'm at work at the moment :cry: :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back