Phone Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, Not strictly an electrics question but it seemed the best place to go.

In my 1930s house the phone line coming in (from the street) has 4 thin wires, Only 2 are connected in the "box" inside blue and white.

An friend who was helping me remove the old skirting/doors etc cut the wire out of the box to the actual socket.

I've bought a replacement wire and socket but the colours of the inside wires are totally different. (Black, Red, Yellow and Green).

Anyone know which of these map to the old blue and white???

Thanks

Sponsored Links
WiggyWez said:
OK, I've bought a replacement wire and socket but the colours of the inside wires are totally different. (Black, Red, Yellow and Green).

Thanks

i am sorry (perhaps its me) but what is your question?

are you trying to reconnect from your master socket to an origonal one? if so the colours are irelevant, so long as it is connected like for like at each end

WiggyWez said:

In my 1930s house the phone line coming in (from the street) has 4 thin wires, Only 2 are connected in the "box" inside blue and white.

An friend who was helping me remove the old skirting/doors etc cut the wire out of the box to the actual socket.

I've bought a replacement wire and socket but the colours of the inside wires are totally different. (Black, Red, Yellow and Green).

Thanks
i would think black and red would be the primary pair, if you have a new phone socket itself then they go to 2&6...

BR

supersparks said:
WiggyWez said:

Thanks

i would think black and red would be the primary pair, if you have a new phone socket itself then they go to 2&6...

BR

this is BT we are talking about, they don't do things logicaly so i dont suppose it is red and black.

oh, and its 2 & 5 not 2 & 6

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
supersparks said:
WiggyWez said:

Thanks

BR

this is BT we are talking about, they don't do things logicaly so i dont suppose it is red and black.

oh, and its 2 & 5 not 2 & 6
.......he aint gunna get it to work....it was close enough..... :LOL: :LOL:

The new socket should be a master socket with a capacitor inside it. Connect the blue and white to the terminals which are connected to the capacitor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back