PIR lights with independent override - Any issues with my circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'd like to implement the below design but would like to check that it is a) safe, b) functional, c) in accordance with any related regs.

The idea is to have two independent lights that can be controlled via PIR or manually overridden, preferably without killing power to the PIR to avoid reboot sequence.

Sleeving will be used on the 7 core flex (Brown for both live and switched live)

Is there anything I might have overlooked?

PXL_20230405_164035363.jpg

Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t ….I would rather do the below or a digi zone

Attachments

• 6C598645-3C8A-4976-A9DF-CA9477D5FBEA.png
    6C598645-3C8A-4976-A9DF-CA9477D5FBEA.png
    526.6 KB · Views: 42
It would be better to have permanent Live to the PIR. This would avoid problems that can occur when a PIR sensor is switched on.
Untitled.jpg

Using a colour other than Brown ( such as Red ) for the Switched Live wire would help with clarity when wiring ( and later fault finding )

I did consider permanent live but thought that if the PIR had a fault in future there would be no way to easily turn it off without pulling the switch out, though looking now having to do this would also mean not being able to use either lamp too.

Is there anything in the regs about colour codes for switched lives?

It would be better to have permanent Live to the PIR. This would avoid problems that can occur when a PIR sensor is switched on.

View attachment 300086

Using a colour other than Brown ( such as Red ) for the Switched Live wire would help with clarity when wiring ( and later fault finding )

Sponsored Links
I take it your original cable run wasn't as straight forward as you implied?

1680747804619.png

I assume you realise you are proposing virtually the same thing from a few days ago.

Then you seemed to indicate the existing wiring was already at or near the switch position,

Indeed the same thing just a more fleshed out diagram with proposed cable types/sleeving etc to see if anyone highlights any issues - wasn't sure whether to put it in the old thread.

The existing wiring is currently a 2 gang plate with 3 core + PE out to the external junction box off of a RCCB protected lighting circuit - planning to swap this wiring for a 7 core flex.

View attachment 300135
I assume you realise you are proposing virtually the same thing from a few days ago.

Then you seemed to indicate the existing wiring was already at or near the switch position,

Indeed the same thing just a more fleshed out diagram with proposed cable types/sleeving etc to see if anyone highlights any issues - wasn't sure whether to put it in the old thread.

The existing wiring is currently a 2 gang plate with 3 core + PE out to the external junction box off of a RCCB protected lighting circuit - planning to swap this wiring for a 7 core flex.
Fromm your previous thread (yes it would be better to have continued it there) I got the impression the light cables were already connected at the switch or very easy to get them to there. If you can make all of the joints at the switch it will simplify things:
1680806811567.png

Is this 300 watt piece for illuminating a football stadium?
View attachment 300196
It's a long narrow garden :oops::LOL:

Fromm your previous thread (yes it would be better to have continued it there) I got the impression the light cables were already connected at the switch or very easy to get them to there. If you can make all of the joints at the switch it will simplify things:
View attachment 300201
Ah thanks, wasn't sure on the forum etiquette here and whether thread commenters were notified of new replies - I'll keep that in mind for next time

There is currently a 2G switch on the wall as a spur supplied from the lighting circuit which is protected with 6A mcb and 30ma RCCB, and a 3 core cable from there to the exterior. I considered running the 2x3c and 1x4c cables all to the switch but thought it might get a little cramped with only a 25mm deep back box

Yes, 'etc.' being "other applications".

It was the answer to Rocky's question following Bernard's suggestion.

Is there anything in the regs about colour codes for switched lives?

Yes, 'etc.' being "other applications".

It was the answer to Rocky's question following Bernard's suggestion.
OK.
I must be honest I think our requirements for brown or blue sleeves on everything is way over the top. Going back a few years using 3C&E for 3 lives was automatic and never a thought of oversleeving as they were/are phase colours. The only time I have concerns is when a colour is used for an opposing voltage use such as blacks and blues as SL. Of course currently they are reversed to previous colour code and greater care is required in mixed schemes .

Opening and reinstating a 4gang intermediate plate with 8 off. 3C&E cables containing 16 5mm sleeves (or even 24 sleeves when someone has been over zealous with brown sleeves on r, y, b cables) becomes a job and a half.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back