please help me CORGI

Status
Not open for further replies.
happymiser, what you're really looking for is for someone to take on your job and get paid the same hourly rate as you, you obviously dont understand that what you pay someone doesnt end up in his pocket. any one of the qualified guys on here will no doubt agree with me that a large portion of any monies collected go towards keeping our businesses running. its not all flash cars and holidays. £60 an hour isnt out of the way for small jobs.

Sponsored Links
Where is the law that states that it is illegal for non RGI fitters to do gas work, including installing a boiler. It appears that only CORGI fitters seem to believe this.

It is true that only competent people can do such work, but what makes you think that having a piece of paper from CORGI means that only you are competent.

A non registered fitter can contact the local building control officer to have a final inspection carried out and the issue of a certificate of competence issued.

Please tell me if the above is not so, but back your answers up with facts.

Correct as far as I know; if you have your ACS, but no corgi number you can notify building control who then come and inspect it. cost you 150 quid though.

Although building control will sign work off . I do know that in my area they insist on proof it was installed by corgi engineer . Whether this is national policy i don`t know.
After all why would a building inspector put his name to something that maybe dangeroius

Although building control will sign work off . I do know that in my area they insist on proof it was installed by corgi engineer . Whether this is national policy i don`t know.

Chris, where are you?

Sponsored Links
Correct as far as I know; if you have your ACS, but no corgi number

Yes thats fine I can accept that, but the original statement made no mention of having passed acs, which is the fundamental part of proving competence. It seemed to be suggesting that anyone could do the work and get it signed off by BC.

Although I can't think why someone would pay thousands to pass acs then not spend a few hundred quid for a dog license :confused:

I heard rumours that bg demands that staff surrender their own CORGI card.
Many people who work for a company don’t have their own number.

businesses working on gas must be registered with CORGI (meaning ACS is mandatory obviously)

Person's working on gas must be competent. I don't know of anywhere which states ACS is the only means of proving competence unfortunately meaning DIY gas is not illegal. Only appliance installation is notifiable to building control.

As i have said before, when it comes to proving your competence outside of business use, it is more like proving your incompetent which is normally the result of poor work, unsafe situation, injury, death or damage to property.

If i'm wrong excellent! i'd like to see it in writing though

Sam

No BG engineer will have a personal corgi card. Having one is seen as gross misconduct. Any new guys who have one will have to surrender their card. Heard a rumour that corgi notify BG if a BG employee applies for a card of their own. This might be scaremongering on BGs parts though

That sounds highly illegal to me, confidentiality, data protection act and that sort of stuff.
Nevertheless, if it is in your contract, it is reason for dismissal if they find out. And rightfully so.
Anyone using my van, tools, materials and what have you would immediately be booted AND prosecuted.

No BG engineer will have a personal corgi card. Having one is seen as gross misconduct. Any new guys who have one will have to surrender their card. Heard a rumour that corgi notify BG if a BG employee applies for a card of their own. This might be scaremongering on BGs parts though

It's there but it's unenforcable. What happens if you have CCLP1/B for working on boats which is sod all to do with bg?. Best advise is just take a random ticket bg don't cover. 20% of guys on our patch have personal registration.

Which brings back the question: what constitutes competency?
ACS, of course, will.
But I have to see the first proof that it is the ONLY way. As far as I know there is no rule, regulation, or law that says it is the only way to demonstrate competence.

If competence is not defined, it only leaves to prove incompetence.
You install a boiler, nobody dies, you must be competent.

Which brings back the question: what constitutes competency?
ACS, of course, will.
But I have to see the first proof that it is the ONLY way. As far as I know there is no rule, regulation, or law that says it is the only way to demonstrate competence.

If competence is not defined, it only leaves to prove incompetence.
You install a boiler, nobody dies, you must be competent.

That is exactly it unfortunatly.

by law anyone carrying out work on gas appliances or fittings as part
of their business must be competent and registered with CORGI Gas
Registration.

by law only a competent person can carry out work on gas appliances
or fittings. Do-it-yourself work on gas appliances or fittings could be
dangerous and is likely to be illegal;

Notice the wording 'could be dangerous' and 'is likely to be illegal' (presuming your incompetent that is) :rolleyes:

Legally you would have to be proven incompetent, meaning you must have evidence to prove this, so post installation. Bearing in mind the only time it will come to court is if you are being prosecuted, means you must have already left something in a dangerous way or already killed somebody or damaged property.

Human rights and all that tosh probably means there is not much which can be done about stopping someone carry out there own work, plus it would be impossible to enforce :(

sam

Oh really easy to enforce if powers that be really wanted.
Same way as explosives; no papers, no sale. Restrict the sale of boilers, and boiler spares to CORGI card holders.
Make the proof of gas installation by RGI compulsory with house sale and letting licence like you now need a cp12 and energy nonsense report.

The whole point is, lots of talk but too many people with influence would see their income nose-dive if the cowboy market was stamped out is the way I see it.

This thread makes very intersting reading!
In response to the OP. I would happily qoute for this kind of work, however,
it would be on condition of a site visit confirming everything exisitng is fitted to current standards and you would have to sign the mother of all disclaimers before any work is carried out. £400+materials sounds reasonable for a day rate. 4hours is a little optimistic.

ah!
practical
sensible
business like..
i think the op has had his eyes opened to the cost of things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back