Portable power packs or inverters

Thanks to all the others for the helpful replies. I have an outdoor socket but the trailing wire is what I could do without

The portable power seems more logical so will try and find out how much power is need

I was thinking of something like this at first, but I know nothing

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240921_211101_com_ebay_mobile_ViewItemActivity.jpg
    Screenshot_20240921_211101_com_ebay_mobile_ViewItemActivity.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 15
Sponsored Links
One of those brand of electric smokers states 800 Watts for the heating element that is thermostatically controlled to maintain a set temperature. The 710 Wi-Fi model.

Let's guess at 800 Wh consumed for first hour to get to temp, then 400 Wh for the remaining three or four or more hours of smoking cooking.

1200 + 800 = 2000 Wh or 2 kWh as a minimum I'd guess. But if course inverters are never 100% efficient so bigger will be needed. Lithium rather than less acid batteries, too. That won't be a cheap thing!!

That Ryobi inverter has a max out of 150 W so would be completely unsuited to the 800 Watt load!

A proper mains supply to the desired location may be best. Or something like a rubber cable cover as used in street markets and similar places...

One of those brand of electric smokers states 800 Watts for the heating element that is thermostatically controlled to maintain a set temperature. The 710 Wi-Fi model.

Let's guess at 800 Wh consumed for first hour to get to temp, then 400 Wh for the remaining three or four or more hours of smoking cooking.

1200 + 800 = 2000 Wh or 2 kWh as a minimum I'd guess. But if course inverters are never 100% efficient so bigger will be needed. Lithium rather than less acid batteries, too. That won't be a cheap thing!!

That Ryobi inverter has a max out of 150 W so would be completely unsuited to the 800 Watt load!

A proper mains supply to the desired location may be best. Or something like a rubber cable cover as used in street markets and similar places...
Thanks!

It's odd I asked a few on the masterbuilt page and a few people said they'd used them with success.

It was the mains bit, I was more worried about. Maybe I'll stick to what everyone else seems to do, but a power bank and run it off that, then just cable for when I use the rotisserie on the other BBQ

Sponsored Links
It's a masterbuilt gravity series 600

I've read people running them off batteries and power banks successfully, but knowing me I'd buy the wrong things just because I want ac power too

As far as I can tell, the PSU for the Gravity Series 600 is a wallwart type, providing 12V.
I can't find an official rating, but aftermarket suppliers sell 12V 18W PSU...

This should easily run from a USB-C power bank, but that would also require a USB-C to 12V DC adapter, of an appropriate size for your barrel jack.
Example here...

Thanks, yes that's right. And yes people have recommended that cable too you mentioned, appreciate that.

I'm trying to figure power station or equivalent for the USB and for mains without spending big money, most people seem to just run off the usb and not need the mains as well.

Cheers again

I'm trying to figure power station or equivalent for the USB and for mains without spending big money, most people seem to just run off the usb and not need the mains as well.
Now we have a (maximum) power rating for the BBQ, as @Why Not Indeed mentioned in post #2; how long do you intend to use the BBQ for in one sitting?
Knowing this will get us a minimum spec for the power bank - (not including the rotisserie for the moment).

Now we have a (maximum) power rating for the BBQ, as @Why Not Indeed mentioned in post #2; how long do you intend to use the BBQ for in one sitting?
Knowing this will get us a minimum spec for the power bank - (not including the rotisserie for the moment).
Thanks, sorry as you can tell, clueless with electrics

Ideally something that would last up to 10-12 hours. Bought it mostly for long and slow cooks

Thanks, sorry as you can tell, clueless with electrics

Ideally something that would last up to 10-12 hours. Bought it mostly for long and slow cooks
A 12V, 1.5A PSU, at most will consume 18W.
The actual figure will be far lower.
Say for example, we guess at 15W (still a huge overestimate) and you want it to run for 10 hours, we would want a 150Wh battery bank.
The item Flameport links to in #13 is 230Wh and would be perfect. There may also be capacity left over for the rotisserie.

If you wish to specify your own powerbank, a unit with a capacity closer to 150Wh would be cheaper.
However the specs can be confusing - for example, an item from Amazon..

Screenshot_20240922-232711_Chrome.jpg

lists 27000mAh/99Wh with a 150W output.
The mAh rating relates to the internal 3.7V lithium battery capacity: 27000mAh = 27Ah
27Ah x 3.7V = 99Wh
Often, however, the more useful Wh rating is left out of the listing.
The 150W output rating, relates to the maximum power the bank can output consistently, until the battery drains.
So at the maximum load of 150W, this 99Wh power bank would drain in 40 minutes!

I hope that makes some sense! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back