Possible bodged boiler install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

We had a full ch system including boiler, pipes and radiators installed a year ago from a gas-safe installer and had our yearly service today.

The engineer who serviced the boiler a third party (central heating and boiler insurance) commented on the odd installation of the flue today who was then followed by a visit from the original installer.

The boiler is installed in the upstairs airing cupboard with a vertical flue into the loft, which then goes horizontal and exits the roof horizontally. He said this may go against the manufactuerer's guidlines but we should check.

The original installer also came today to do what they said is a more indepth proper service, reinstall radiators to the wall, as they started coming away from the wall. (Designer radiators fitted to plasterboard walls without the correct fixings). The original installer said aslong as the flue it's not leaking it's installed correctly and to disregard the comment by the other engineer.

Please see photo's attached. The original installer didn't complete the benchmark or commissioning checklist when originally installing the boiler so suggested back dating it by one year... This is a viessman 0-50w and looking at warranty terms it should be completed on initial install and each yearly service for the 10-year warranty.

When taking the pictures of the loft I felt somewhat light headed and can only describe it as the feeling when breathing in fumes. Is it possible the flue is leaking. Believe both engineers checked the flue.

I also have now noticed when taking pictures of the loft, that the joist has been cut significantly for the flue to run horizontally, is this a possible structural issue?

We feel a bit let down having paid almost £5k not including the cost of our own provided radiators. The system is small for a 3bed house.

Thank you,

Attachments

• 20240530_213325.jpg
    20240530_213325.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 222
  • 20240530_213322.jpg
    20240530_213322.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 204
  • 20240530_213244.jpg
    20240530_213244.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 20240530_213129.jpg
    20240530_213129.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 197
  • 20240530_211640.jpg
    20240530_211640.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 218
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The original installer said aslong as the flue it's not leaking it's installed correctly and to disregard the comment by the other engineer.
The flue seems to be level (based on what I see of flue atop the timber). There should be a slope towards the boiler
And also that is some cut in the beam
If the roof is pitched, hope the flashing will not let water in
What is the projection of terminal from point of exit- is the flue terminal likely to be covered in snow?
The original installer didn't complete the benchmark or commissioning checklist when originally installing the boiler so suggested back dating it by one year
If boiler not commissioned, why is it in service. Benchmark logbook should be completed with actual readings rather than made up or perceived figures.

Designer radiators fitted to plasterboard walls without the correct fixings)
These radiators can be a pig to instal- the installers professionalism outshines when these are fitted such that they are secure. Hanging these on plasterboard will always end in tears. Additional support is needed where the fixings are

You may want to ask Gas Safe inspection. Some folk are more interested in making a quick buck instead of doing a good job

Compared to neighbours
The terminal looks dead wrong. Viessman will tell you is that flue installation is correct

Look at page 11 and 12.
Only vertical flue shown similar to one on the right.
I wonder if heavy snowfall will block air inlet port on that terminal

By the way, was a thermostat installed for temperature control?
Is that a combi boiler or a system boiler ( in case of system I would be expecting temperature control of hot water too)

IMG_1124.png

I wonder if this roof flashing has been used to exit the pitched roof
If it is the case, then the flagging has been used incorrectly and will let water into rage loft

That Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector is in the wrong place, imo. When I site ours (Aico) I read the instructions which state 1-3 metres away from the fuel burning appliance and higher than any window or door. Since it’s portable, you could temporarily place it in the loft if you’re concerned, however you can feel light headed for a number of reasons. A room sample test or air inlet test would be wise if you mentioned it to either engineer?

from the pics the flue looks like it does not have the required fall back to the boiler the flue outlet looks a complete bodge . although unorthodox if there is a minimum of 300mm from the bottom of the terminal to the roof then it will usually be acceptable the 300 is for snow etc .
As for cutting the beam wtf was he thinking of.
You can ask gas safe to come out and do an inspection it

from the pics the flue looks like it does not have the required fall back to the boiler the flue outlet looks a complete bodge . although unorthodox if there is a minimum of 300mm from the bottom of the terminal to the roof then it will usually be acceptable the 300 is for snow etc .
As for cutting the beam wtf was he thinking of.
You can ask gas safe to come out and do an inspection it
Verticals flue would have been far easier and the only option here. No weakening of the beam by hacking it like has been done either

Verticals flue would have been far easier and the only option here. No weakening of the beam by hacking it like has been done either
Yep you wonder why they done it this way as still had to go on roof . Funniest one I saw was one coming out like this but using a vertical flue

Hi all,

Thanks for all of your messages! I went in the loft to take these photos lastnight will check again for any odd smell and install a CO alarm as suggested.

I only noticed the cut in joist and engineer rasied the odd flue to me yesterday hope I'm not too late making a claim with the installer. Would it be over the top to ask for gas safe review in these circumstances or would you say it's warranted?

Viessman were not the most helpful: I sent them the same photo's.

"Hi

Sorry it is difficult for us to advise technically on your installation. Flues can go horizontal then vertical and flue termination can very. As you have had 2 engineers/installers attend if there were any safety or not meeting standards issues they would have had to taken action under their Gas Safe registration.

The Benchmark book is not a issue, I would ask the installers to provide you with a job report to add to the benchmark notes. Your warranty covers manufacturing defects and your boiler should be service as per manufacturers instructions I've attached a checklist for your reference. This is provided/supplied with the boiler installation instruction.

Your Installer will be able to provide you with all the information and assurances your boiler/installation is installed to current standard."

odd flue to me yesterday hope I'm not too late making a claim with the installer
No time limit on bad instal. Remember, a gas appliance must be fitted as described in the MI which is part of GSIU

Would it be over the top to ask for gas safe review in these circumstances or would you say it's warranted?
If installer fails to remedy the situation. Get Gas Ssfe out. I would be looking to get that timber restored to original

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back