Possible bodged boiler install

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

The previous picture of the condensate pipe was (unhelpfully nightime picture) from the outside, they'd left it like this and not patched it up. Below pictures are more cenent since they cemented/ filled in over the brick.

To be honest I think the company weren't very happy with the contractor who installed the boiler but when I asked whether they could reduce the £375 fee to reinstall the radiators based on the problems they didn't budge. The owner of the business did pop in though for quite some time recently when I mentioned the prospect of a credit card claim based on the debacle with the benchmark booklet and radiators coming away from the wall. I think I might pursue this now considering all points made in this forum thread.

The pictures of the radiator coming away from the wall are after being charged an additional £375 to have them reinstalled, they were left in this state, and that work was done by another engineer at the same installer firm. We felt a bit cheated by this as some of the work in this job was left over from the install that was already agreed in the original quote too.

To his credit the third engineer that came last week reinstalled them really well and was here for roughly 6-7 hours, it took an hour to drain the system each time. Drained twice, once put cleaner in and then inhibitor. He set the boiler flow temp on CH to 75 from the original 62 from installation said it's better for these types of radiators to heat up faster. He said previous engineer only used small plugs not suitable for plasterboard, so used deep plugs that go past plasterboard into the brick wall behind.

I did ask him about cleaning the magnetic filter but the job took longer than he expected and we both forgot (he only had to reinstall 3 of the 4, as the fourth was ok). Their engineer said as long as flue doesn't leak it's ok and to speak with the office for any concerns as he didn't install which I suppose is fair enough on his part.

Can I say the condensate pipe looks horrible on the side of the house would be nice if we had any other options.

Attachments

• 20240601_210822.jpg
    20240601_210822.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 20240601_210828.jpg
    20240601_210828.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 20240601_210838.jpg
    20240601_210838.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20240601_210907.jpg
    20240601_210907.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Radiator 1.jpg
    Radiator 1.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Radiator 2.jpg
    Radiator 2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Radiator 3.jpg
    Radiator 3.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
To be honest I think the company weren't very happy with the contractor who installed the boiler but when I asked whether they could reduce the £375 fee to reinstall the radiators based on the problems they didn't budge.

From what you have described, you need to be 'going after them', for that, and very much more, including paying someone to deal with that flue install, as well as the damage to that joint, plus the other minor points you raised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back