Pound in biggest monthly fall against the dollar since 2016...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect few people realise that the devaluation QE has caused dwarfs that devaluation at least by a factor of 10.
We are devaluing on a daily basis.

Really?

Let's check the evidence;

BoE began QE in 2009, inflation was 2.1%.
Following years:
2010 - 3.1%
2011 - 3.7%
2012 - 2.4%
2013 - 1.9%
2014 - 0.7%
2015 - 0.5%
2016 - 1.8%
2017 - 2.7%
2018 - 2.0%
2019 - 1.4%
2020 - 0.8%
2021 - 4.8%

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Let's check the evidence;
He hasn't. The true evidence is how inflation behaved. The other aspect is just how many GBP exist. Bank notes - hard currency is not representative.

I posted a German link that does a pretty good job of explaining the 2 periods of inflation we have seen. BofE interventions have to be mentioned so go check when they have been done. The country is run in a way that expects some inflation so don't forget that.

We can expect more base rate increases. However here comesTruss but that would be gov interference if they don't increase. On the other hand the BofE might decide no more increases for a while or even cuts again.

This also dates some inflation and also mentions another problem related to accommodation costs. As far a I can see it only uses known figures

Increase a bit out of sync with @gone 's ideas.

He hasn't. The true evidence is how inflation behaved.
Few ever do. They seem to be happier with their own made-up version of reality.

The other aspect is just how many GBP exist.
On it's own and without understanding what else is going on the number of £s in existence isn't indicative of anything at all.

BofE interventions have to be mentioned so go check when they have been done.
I listed all the years Boe undertook QE and the annual inflation rates for those years. Conclusion: QE didn't cause inflation.

The country is run in a way that expects some inflation so don't forget that.
Yes, agree, BoE has a 2% target.

We can expect more base rate increases. However here comesTruss but that would be gov interference if they don't increase.
Truss is a neoliberal monetarist. When all you have is hammer (monetary policy) everything looks like a nail (interest rate manipulation).

On the other hand the BofE might decide no more increases for a while or even cuts again.
BoE independence is a myth - all board members are political appointees - it'll do exactly as it's told.

Last edited:
This also dates some inflation and also mentions another problem related to accommodation costs. As far a I can see it only uses known figures

Increase a bit out of sync with @gone 's ideas.
That's the destruction of the post war consensus and 40+ years of neoliberal ideology for you.

That's nonsensical.

Where do you think £s come from?

We are in the middle of hyperinflation. You probably think that the following photograph is from 1930s Weimar Germany, but it's actually me last week going to pay the gas for the month.

1662412643035.png

We are in the middle of hyperinflation. You probably think that the following photograph is from 1930s Weimar Germany, but it's actually me last week going to pay the gas for the month.

View attachment 278725
Lol, that'll be the cash Truss will be handing out.
Has she said how she is going to magic up more energy?

Sure, it's inflation but it's not hyperinflation, at least not yet.

Back to the question, it's a genuine one, where do you think £s come from?

I listed all the years Boe undertook QE and the annual inflation rates for those years. Conclusion: QE didn't cause inflation.

Could that be because the rest of the world was doing the same? (and has been since the crash). Devaluation will raise the cost of imports, UK imports more than it exports so will fuel inflation. But if everybody else is devaluing at the same time?

Could that be because the rest of the world was doing the same? (and has been since the crash). Devaluation will raise the cost of imports, UK imports more than it exports so will fuel inflation. But if everybody else is devaluing at the same time?
I can see what you are getting at, but no, QE doesn't 'devalue' the currency at all as it's not money creation, it's an attempt at monetary policy - the BoE itself makes this quite clear. It was meant to inflate asset prices which would then make the asset holders feel better and go out and start spending.

If your point held true then you would expect Japan to have experienced high inflation between 2001 and 2006 when it ran it's first QE program as, at that time, it was the only country doing it. You can check JPN inflation figures for that period easily enough.

Here's a fuller explanation of what QE actually is:What is Quantitive Easing?

off course quantitive easing dilutes the value off the money in everyone pocket
you have a set value and print perhaps 10% more currency a pound must now cover a £110 value so dilluted what you do with the manufactured[printed notes ] can only dilute the value off the overall "value "
you go into a pub 10 people put 10 pound in the kitty so £100 you then have a another person print another £10 voucher as quantitive easing [no added value but worth the same] you now have 11 people sharing the £100 so your 10 pounds is now worth £9 and a few pence

off course quantitive easing dilutes the value off the money in everyone pocket
you have a set value and print perhaps 10% more currency a pound must now cover a £110 value so dilluted what you do with the manufactured[printed notes ] can only dilute the value off the overall "value "
you go into a pub 10 people put 10 pound in the kitty so £100 you then have a another person print another £10 voucher as quantitive easing [no added value but worth the same] you now have 11 people sharing the £100 so your 10 pounds is now worth £9 and a few pence
Once again, and probably for the last time, QE is not money printing.

Here's the section on QE from the WGA 2010-11 have a look and point out what you think is wrong with it.

Also, did you read the article I linked to above? If so, please explain what you think it gets wrong about QE.

Whole of Government Accounts Year Ended 31 March 2011 - whole_of_gove_ - ieepebpjnkhaiioojkepf...png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back