Power for Illimumintaed LED Bathroom Mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have a largish empty shelf 40cm above the sink in our bathroom where the wife wants to have an illumintated LED mirror. The mirror is planned to be 1200mm wide and the power ratings for various styles vary between 36W and 60W.

The closest power source I've found is a light switch on the other side of wall where the mirror is supposed to go. As its just behind the wall, it would be the neatest installation.

The switch is a 3-gang one with 2-way dimmers and a 2 way switch, looks like this:
1716882561416.png

Would it be OK to take power from these switches for the mirror?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply folks. The neutral is there as seen in the pic.
So it would be a quick connection by clubbing the mirror cables with neutral/blue and permanent live/brown connecting strips in the switch?
20240528_104600.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks ok but the metal grid needs an earth connection. Depending on what the switch contro!s you could switch the mirror from it

Depending on what the switch contro!s you could switch the mirror from it
Can I not use the connector strips (for live and neutral) as a permanent connection without a switch?
The mirrors we are looking at come with either an internal switch in the cabinet or motion switch or touch sensor.

I doubt if the mirror cable will come with an earth but if it does, I will connect earth to the back box and/or the current earth connections within the switch.

Last edited:
Yes take a permanent supply from the live and neutral, taking a switched supply was only a suggestion in case it was needed to switch the mirror on from the wall switch

Hi again,
So the mirror cabinet with bluetooth and shaver has been installed. Its permanently on with the light working via Motion Sensor Switch (hand wave on the RHS bottom). There is no other switch.
Just one thing is bothering me, there is a constant buzz that can be heard near the mirror. This is regardles of the light being ON/OFF.
Any idea what it could be and how to rectify it? Does this buzz mean its constantly drawing power even when the light is OFF?
IMG-20240601-WA0016.jpeg

Thanks.

So the mirror cabinet with bluetooth and shaver has been installed. Its permanently on with the light working via Motion Sensor Switch (hand wave on the RHS bottom). There is no other switch.
Just one thing is bothering me, there is a constant buzz that can be heard near the mirror. This is regardles of the light being ON/OFF.
Any idea what it could be and how to rectify it?
That will be the transformer powering the "Motion Sensor" - so that you can turn it ON or OFF, with a "wave" of your hand !

Does this buzz mean its constantly drawing power even when the light is OFF?

Yes.

That will be the transformer powering the "Motion Sensor" - so that you can turn it ON or OFF, with a "wave" of your hand !
Thanks. Is this normal on every mirror with motion sensor?
I find it annoying so I am thinking of adding a ON/ OFF switch as I added enough cord. Any suggestions please?

I find it annoying so I am thinking of adding a ON/ OFF switch as I added enough cord. Any suggestions please?
It really should not "Buzz".

If you can hear a "Buzz", this indicates that the (magnetic) "transformer device" is working at 50 Hz.
If it were working as a "Switch Mode Power Supply" (at many thousand Hz) you should not (be able to) hear it.

If it annoys you,
you may need to replace it with a better quality device.
(One tends to get that which one pays for !)

You could post the Make/Number of the device concerned, so that more "analysis" might be performed.
One wonders why persons often do not do this - in the first instance !

Try that if you think you wont get used to the buzzing, it can always be changed back.

Bet it has a permanently on mains isolating transformer for a shaver socket. The one we have just bought has a 'waterproof' switch for that feature on the bottom.

All the other bits are powered via switch mode supplies, although the demister pad is mains and operated via a relay switch and touch-sensor behind the glass.

Yes the unit will be drawing circa 2 to 5 Watts in 'standby'. Nearer the upper end if there is a shaver transformer permanently on even with no load. (I've used an energy monitor on mine to check the 'modes'.)

Make and model would possibly help (or not as the one we have has been radically design-changed, e.g. no IR sensor feature, or mechanical switch for colour temperature).

Many thanks for your replies, they are encouraging me towards a solution.

Attached are some pics for make/model. I paid close to £400 for this (its a 3 door cabinet, 120cm by 70cm size).

I was told (by the seller) that this is a much superior quality for that price. I guess thats a pretty standard selling tactic these days
20240602_212244.jpg
20240602_212324.jpg

Other than the "User Manual" which you posted,
this "User Manual" (https://furniture123.co.uk/files/PDF/BB/BeBa_27590 Manual.pdf )
indicates (on Page #8 )
"Your cabinet comes with an inbuilt Shaver Socket located inside the unit."

It is probable that the secondary of the "Iron Core" transformer serving this is also "powering" the "Motion Sensor" for "Wave of the hand" operation
(and the "Bluetooth" speaker system - which you have not mentioned.)

It is very likely that the "Motion Sensor" is "powered" via a "Switch Mode Power Supply"
(operating at many thousand Hz - which you should not be able to hear.)
If so, it could be "powered" from the "Mains" by a "direct connection" - NOT going via the "Shaver Socket" Isolation transformer.

If the wiring is "rearranged" to do this, you could install a switch for the "Shaver Socket" transformer Primary
(eliminating an "Buzz" from this, when not in use)
and
then run the "Motion Sensor" directly from the "Mains".

However, this may void any warrantees (?)
and (more importantly)
it may not accord with UK regulations, concerning isolating 230 V "appliance" in "Bathrooms".

On this latter point, advice from persons in the UK who "know" the relevant regulations is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back