Power for Illimumintaed LED Bathroom Mirror

Here is the full link of the item I bought:

I've just registered for warranty on their website even though I bought this from a seller on ebay. I hope they will allow this as its a new-unused boxed item.

I am going to raise this as a case with them once the warranty registration is successful, as it seems there are multiple ways to address this issue.

Sponsored Links
The LED Driver shown in https://www.betterbathrooms.com/files/PDF/BB/LEDstrip_removal_manual_cabinet.pdf
is quite "thin".
Hence, it cannot contain an "Iron core" transformer and must be a Switch Mode Power Supply - with a ferrite core transformer.

I note that this device also contains a "Demister".
I wonder if this is operated directly from the "mains" or via the "Shaver Socket" transformer - which I would doubt.
(How is the "Demister" turned ON ?)

(How is the "Demister" turned ON ?)
It will be 'direct' from mains via a relay, going by mine... with a timed off period (30/60 minutes seem commonplace). May well come on with the light coming on (and the Bluetooth circuit).

Mine has touch sensors behind the mirror, one for light/dimmer/CT and another for the demister on/off (and has a 30 minute off timer).

I note the user manual for this cabinet states the shaver socket is "ready to use once cabinet is connected to mains" so its 1:1 mains isolating transformer is almost certainly the cause of the hum problem. "Proper" shaver sockets have a plug-operated switch that livens up the transformer to avoid this, and the few watts of electric the transformer uses with no load.

Sponsored Links
Ours doesn't have a shaver socket, just the light. I ran it off the ceiling light so it gets power only when the bathroom light is on, the mirror light still needs switching on via the hand sensor. When the main light is switched off the mirror light goes off as well (as we have kids who would just.leave it on).

Hello again, I did not manage to register for warranty, but the tech support guy gave me the following advice to fix the buzz:
"We can recommend that tightening the screws which hold the transformer in place or fitting a small, heatproof rubber pad between the shaver socket transformer and the backbox of the mirror can silence the humming/buzzing."

Any help on how/ where to start would be welcome.

Guys, I would need some moral support/ encouragement before I open the screws inside the cabinet to get to the transformer.

Before I do that, do you agree with the advice from the tech support team mentioned above?

Some transformers rattle and buzz... others are near silent. Even between samples of the same manufacturer. Thin metal panels vibrate with the transformer through the fixings amplifying such noise. That may then transfer into the wall panel via the cabinet and its fixing screws. I'm not sure whether any sound-deadening (neoprene) rubber type pads/washers would help much (if at all).

Me? I'd be fitting a suitable mains switch to allow me to turn on the shaver socket only when required. But then I have the technical skills and knowledge to do so safely.

NB You need to isolate the mains supply (both Live and Neutral) before opening the case.
If you are unsure in any degree you may need a tradesperson to do this for you?

Me? I'd be fitting a suitable mains switch to allow me to turn on the shaver socket only when required
Could you share a an example or two of a suitable switch? I am thinking of the aesthetics/ position of switch too.

Guys, I would need some moral support/ encouragement before I open the screws inside the cabinet to get to the transformer.

Before I do that, do you agree with the advice from the tech support team mentioned above?

"WE" have only the manufactures "plans" to go on.
We cannot see exactly how anything is mounted.

Photos of "things" from various directions, distant and "close-up", may help !

Could you share a an example or two of a suitable switch? I am thinking of the aesthetics/ position of switch too.
Nope. Sorry, but:
If you haven't the nowse to find a suitable switch and the knowledge of how to fit ... I ain't gonna be responsible for suggesting one to you and you doing something incorrectly.

In any case it all depends on the cabinet construction, location of the transformer / socket and space available in the unit..... and your skills.

Nope. Sorry, but:
If you haven't the nowse to find a suitable switch and the knowledge of how to fit ... I ain't gonna be responsible for suggesting one to you and you doing something incorrectly.

In any case it all depends on the cabinet construction, location of the transformer / socket and space available in the unit..... and your skills.
AND
you still have not posted any relative photos !?!?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back